Reflection Windows-based Products version 8.0 through 14.x (French and German)
This technical note describes how to upgrade a workstation installation of Reflection (8.0. -13.x) to version 14.x.
New Release Available Now
Reflection 14.1 products are available beginning in June 2010. For information about new features and release notes, see KB 7021727.
Reflection 2014 products are available beginning in February 2014.
- For a list of new features in Reflection 2014, see KB 7021448. For information about upgrading to Reflection 2014 products, see KB 7021447.
- For information about purchasing Reflection 2014 products, please e-mail us: SalesRecept@attachmate.com or visit https://www.attachmate.com/How+To+Buy/.
Related Technical Notes about Upgrading
- When upgrading to Reflection 14.1, see KB 7021730. When upgrading to Reflection 14.x, see KB 7021761.
- If you are upgrading a workstation installation to Reflection 14.x from a customized Administrative installation point, see KB 7021654.
Upgrading a Workstation Installation to Reflection 14.x
Before installing Reflection 14.x, note the following:
- You cannot install Reflection 14.x and retain an earlier version of Reflection. The Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) will detect and automatically upgrade the earlier version (listed in the Applies To section above) to 14.x. The earlier version will be removed by the upgrade. The features and registry settings will be migrated from the earlier versions.
- If you have more than one Reflection product on a PC, you must upgrade all of the Reflection products at the same time.
- An evaluation copy of Reflection 14.x will upgrade an installation of Reflection 8.0â14.x.
Warning: If you plan to reinstall Reflection version 8.0â14.x, settings and customizations must be saved prior to installing the Reflection 14.x evaluation copy. (This is especially important for Reflection X and FTP users.) For information about saving customized settings before uninstalling Reflection, see KB 7021647.
To upgrade to Reflection 14.x, follow these steps:
- If you are upgrading from a CD, place the Reflection CD in the CD-ROM drive; the installation program will begin automatically.
If you are upgrading from a downloaded product file, when you unzip/extract the package the installation program will begin automatically.
If you are upgrading from a downloaded product file you already extracted, browse to the folder where you extracted the file (by default, ~wrq*.exe), double-click Install.exe.
If you are upgrading from a non-customized administrative installation point, double-click the Setup.exe file and the Reflection Installation Wizard will start.
To begin the installation, click Install Reflection, and then highlight the product you want to upgrade. When prompted, select Workstation Installation.
- Before the product installation begins, Reflection will check the version of Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) on the machine.
Note: Beginning in Reflection 13.0, we recommend installing Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) version 3.0.
If Reflection detects one of the following scenarios, you will be prompted to update the service:
- MSI is not installed on the machine or the current version of MSI on the machine is not version 2.0 or higher.
Click Update to continue. (If you click Cancel, MSI will not be updated and Reflection will not install.)
- Or, you are installing Reflection 13.0 or higher and the current version of MSI on the machine is not version 3.0 or higher.
The "optional upgrade to Windows Installer 3.0" is an optional update; the default option is Skip.
Important: If you choose to update your version of MSI, you will be prompted to reboot the workstation. You are prompted to reboot because there are files that cannot be updated unless the workstation is restarted. The installation of MSI will finish after you restart the machine.
After rebooting, you must restart the Reflection installation process. (If you are upgrading from a downloaded product file that you already extracted, browse to the folder where you extracted the file, by default, ~wrq*.exe, and double-click Install.exe.)
- The Reflection Installation Wizard will display the following message: "A Prior version of Reflection has been detected and will be upgraded by this installation package." Click Next.
- On the Customer Information panel, you have the option to enter your name, organization, and Volume Purchase Account (VPA) number. For more information about VPA numbers, see https://support.microfocus.com/programs/vpa.html.
- On the Destination Folder panel, it is strongly recommended that you install the Reflection upgrade to the same destination folder as the earlier version.
Note: If you are running more than one Reflection (Windows-based) product on your machine, you may receive the following warning: "A previous version of Reflection was found in this folder. We strongly recommend all Reflection products on this machine be upgraded to identical versions." If you do not upgrade all of the Reflection products on your machine at the same time, you will likely receive errors when attempting to run any of the Reflection products that were not upgraded.
- The Installation Type (also on the Destination Folder panel) will default to Custom when an upgrade is detected. The Custom installation type allows the upgrade to retain the same feature selections as installed in the previous version.
Note: If you choose the "Typical" installation type during the upgrade, the default features are installed rather than those features originally selected for a previous version of Reflection.
- In the Select Features dialog box, review your feature selections.
Note the following:
- Reflection Security: Reflection version 14.x includes Reflection security features (called Reflection Security Components in versions earlier than 11.0) as part of the product. By default, all Reflection Security Components are installed. The Kerberos Manager is the only security feature that can be turned off on the feature tree when installing Reflection version 14.x. Reflection 14.x will detect and upgrade Reflection Security Components and the Reflection Security Components entry in Add/Remove programs will be removed when you upgrade.
- LPR/LPD: The availability and installation method for LPR/LPD varies depending on your version:
In version 14.1, LPD/LPR are not available.
In version 11.0 through 14.0 SP7, only LPD (not LPR) is available in the Reflection installer.
In version 10.x, LPD/LPR were available in the Reflection installer.
In version 9.x, LPD/LPR were available in a standalone installer.
In version 8.x, LPD/LPR were not available.
For more information about the status of Reflection LPR/LPD, see Technical Note 1554.
If you are upgrading to version 14.1 and previously had LPD/LPR installed, Reflection will detect and remove LPR/LPD. If you are upgrading to version 14.0.x and previously had LPD/LPR installed, Reflection will detect and upgrade your LPD utility and remove LPR. If you are upgrading from version 9.0, Reflection will remove the LPD/LPR entry in Add/Remove Programs when you upgrade.
- Virtual Desktop: Beginning in version 14.1, the Reflection Virtual Desktop (RVD) utility is no longer available. (Version 13.0 through 14.0 SP7 are available for Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows NT only, but are not available for Windows Vista, Windows 2003 Server, or Windows XP.) For more information about the status of Reflection Virtual Desktop, see KB 7021685.
- After completing the installation options section, click Next to start the installation.
- The installation will upgrade Reflection and will remove files associated with a previous version. Add/Remove Programs will list only the version of Reflection you installed.