This technical note describes recommendations to consider when upgrading to Reflection 2014.
For a list of new features and release notes for Reflection 2014, see KB 7021448.
Before You Upgrade to Reflection 2014
Carefully review the warnings in this section before upgrading to Reflection 2014 or an evaluation copy of Reflection 2014.
- Reflection 2014 uses the Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) technology, which detects and automatically upgrades earlier versions of EXTRA! or Reflection (listed in the following section) that were deployed using MSI.
- You cannot retain an earlier version of EXTRA! or Reflection when you install Reflection 2014, even if EXTRA! or Reflection is installed in a different location. The earlier version will be removed by the upgrade. Note: User-created configuration files will be preserved.
- Removing Reflection 2014 will not restore the previous version of EXTRA! or Reflection.
- If you plan to return to a custom installation of EXTRA! or Reflection, you must save the EXTRA! or Reflection settings and customizations prior to installing Reflection 2014.
- To return to earlier versions of EXTRA! or Reflection, you must uninstall Reflection 2014 from the workstation and then reinstall EXTRA! or Reflection. EXTRA! or Reflection settings and customizations can be reapplied only if they were saved prior to the Reflection 2014 upgrade.
- Reflection Command Language (RCL), Reflection Basic (RB), EXTRA! Basic (EB), and Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) macros are all supported in Reflection 2014. No conversion is needed during the upgrade.
- Reflection Enterprise Suite 2014 includes Reflection 2014 (to which this note applies) and Reflection for the Web 2014. For information about upgrading to Reflection for the Web 2014, see Technical Note 2349.
Upgrading from Earlier Versions of Reflection or EXTRA!
Reflection 2014 products upgrade the following products:
EXTRA! X-treme version 8.0 â 9.xmyEXTRA! Enterprise version 7.0myEXTRA! version 7.xEXTRA! Enterprise 2000Reflection for UNIX and OpenVMS 2011Reflection for IBM 2011Reflection Standard Suite 2011Reflection for UNIX and OpenVMS 2008Reflection for IBM 2008Reflection Standard Suite 2008Reflection for IBM 2007Reflection for IBM version 8.0 â 14.xReflection for UNIX and OpenVMS version 8.0 â 14.xReflection for the Multi-Host Enterprise Standard Edition, version 8.0 â 14.xAn evaluation copy of Reflection 2014
Note the following:
- Reflection 2014 will upgrade Reflection for the Multi-Host Professional Edition 14.x. Note: You will no longer have HP emulation after upgrading. If you need HP emulation, see KB 7021440.
- Reflection 2007 is automatically removed when you upgrade. EXTRA! and the other Reflection products (listed above) are automatically removed when you upgrade using setup.exe. If you upgrade these products by deploying the .msi file directly, you will get a message telling you to uninstall the older software first.
- Reflection 2014 will detect and remove EXTRA! 6530 Client Option 7.x â 9.x and Reflection for NonStop 2011 or 2008 Add-On. You must also install Reflection for NonStop 2014 Add-On if you require connectivity to NonStop/Tandem systems. For more information about Reflection for NonStop 2014 Add-On, see KB 7021439.
Supported Legacy Files
For a list of the legacy Reflection and EXTRA! files supported in Reflection 2014, see KB 7021495.
Reflection 2014 Will Not Install on Workstations Where These Attachmate Products Are Already Installed
Reflection 2014 products will not install on a machine that has any of these Reflection products already installed:
Reflection X 2011 (32- or 64-bit)Reflection Suite for X 2011 (32- or 64-bit)Reflection X version 8.0 â 14.xReflection Suite for X version 8.0 â 14.xReflection for HP with NS/VT version 8.0 â 14.x
Reflection 2014 will display a message, "Attachmate Reflection 2014 cannot be installed on this computer," and indicates that you must close the Reflection 2014 install, remove the previously installed product (listed above), and then run the Reflection 2014 installation program again.
Note: Reflection 2014 does not currently provide connectivity to Unisys mainframes, nor does it provide PC X server functionality, so if you require connectivity to either of these resources, you should install Reflection 2014 to a separate machine and leave the previously installed Reflection product installed on your current machine. If you need HP emulation, see KB 7021440.
Installing and Deploying
For information about installing and deploying Reflection 2014, see the Installation topic in the product Help, https://docs.attachmate.com/reflection/2014/r1/tshelp/en/user-html/, and the Deployment Guide, https://docs.attachmate.com/reflection/2014/r1/deploy/.
If Deploying the Reflection 2014 Installer Package (*.msi) File Directly
If you are deploying the Reflection 2014 installer package (*.msi) file directly (for example, if you are using a third-party tool to deploy the update), note the following:
- You must first manually uninstall any earlier versions of Reflection or EXTRA! from the workstation where you want to install Reflection 2014. (If you upgrade these products by deploying the .msi file directly and have not removed the earlier version, a message displays telling you to uninstall the older software first.)
- You must first deploy the appropriate .NET Framework version. as a separate package to workstations where it is not installed. (See "Microsoft .NET Framework Must Be Installed on Windows XP Workstations" in Technical Note 2702.)
- Windows Installer 3.1 will not be installed automatically on Windows XP. See "Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 and Windows XP" in Technical Note 2702.
- When installing Reflection 2014 using *.msi, if you want VBA support, the VBA-specific files must be installed separately. The VBA *.msi files are in the installation image, located at \Prerequisites\VB65\. Both VBAOF11.msi and a language-specific msi VBAOF11I.msi (located in \Prerequisites\VB65\10nn\VBAOF11l.msi) must be installed. See KB 7021398 for troubleshooting information.
Removing Earlier Versions of Reflection or EXTRA!
Running the Reflection 2014 setup.exe will automatically remove earlier versions of Reflection or EXTRA! (listed in the Upgrading from Earlier Versions of Reflection or EXTRA! section); this is a required step. If, however, you are deploying the Reflection 2014 installer package (*.msi) file directly (for example, if you are using a third-party tool to deploy the update), you must first manually uninstall the earlier version Reflection or EXTRA!.
The command to manually remove Reflection or EXTRA! varies depending on your product and version.
Microsoft .NET Framework Must Be Installed on Windows XP Workstations
Reflection 2014 requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 Runtime (or higher).
Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of this prerequisite software are distributed with Reflection 2014.
Note: The .NET Framework is included in Windows Vista and Windows 7. Be sure that you have the .NET Framework version required by the version of Reflection 2014.
If you use the Reflection 2014 installer (setup.exe), the wizard determines whether the system has the .NET Framework, and automatically installs it if necessary.
If you are deploying Reflection 2014 installer package (*.msi) file directly, you must first deploy the appropriate .NET Framework version as a separate package to workstations where it is not installed.
Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 and Windows XP
The Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) version 3.1 is distributed with Reflection 2014. This applies to Windows XP only. (Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 already include a later version.) For more information, see the "System Requirements" section of the Deployment Guide (https://docs.attachmate.com/reflection/2014/r1/deploy/).
The Installation and Deployment Guide for Reflection 2014 is available online at https://docs.attachmate.com/Reflection/2014/r1/deploy/.
The product guide for Reflection 2014 is available in the product and online at https://docs.attachmate.com/Reflection/2014/r1/help/en/user-html/.
For information about how to contact Technical Support, see https://support.microfocus.com/contact/.