Reflection for UNIX and OpenVMS version 8.0 through 14.x
Reflection for IBM version 8.0 through 14.x
Reflection X version 8.0 through 14.x
Reflection for the Multi-Host Enterprise Standard Edition version 9.0 through 14.x
Reflection for the Multi-Host Enterprise Professional Edition version 9.0 through 14.x
Reflection Suite for X version 8.0 through 14.x
This technical note describes recommendations to consider when upgrading to Reflection 14.1.
New Release Available Now
Reflection 2014 products are available beginning in February 2014.
- For a list of new features in Reflection 2014, see KB 7021448. For information about upgrading to Reflection 2014 products, see KB 7021447.
- For information about purchasing Reflection 2014 products, please e-mail us at SalesRecept@attachmate.com or visit https://www.attachmate.com/How+To+Buy/.
This technical note addresses the following topics:
Install and Deployment Issues
Running Multiple Reflection Products
Reflection Administrator's Toolkit
Upgrade Feature Migration Versus Set Installation Options
Version- or Product-Specific Issues
Before You Upgrade to Reflection 14.1
Carefully review the warnings in this section before upgrading your current version of Reflection to version 14.1.
Warning: Before installing Reflection 14.1, note the following:
- Reflection version 14.1 uses the Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) technology, which detects and automatically upgrades earlier versions of Reflection (listed in the Applies To section above) that were deployed using MSI. During an upgrade, MSI migrates the features and registry settings of the earlier version and removes all files installed by the earlier version of Reflection.
- You cannot retain an earlier version of Reflection when you install Reflection 14.1. The Reflection installer automatically detects and upgrades earlier versions (8.0.2-14.x) to 14.1, even if Reflection is installed in a different location. The earlier version will be removed by the upgrade.
- Removing Reflection 14.1 will not restore the previous version.
- If you plan to return to a custom installation of Reflection 8.0â14.x, you must save the Reflection 8.0â14.x settings and customizations prior to installing Reflection 14.1 or an evaluation copy of Reflection 14.1. This is especially important for Reflection X and FTP users. For information about saving customized settings before uninstalling Reflection, see KB 7021647.
- To return to Reflection 8.0â14.x, you must uninstall Reflection 14.1 from the workstation and then reinstall Reflection 8.0â14.x. Reflection 8.0â14.x settings and customizations can be reapplied only if they were saved prior to the Reflection 14.1 upgrade.
- By default, the "Custom" installation type is selected during the 14.1 upgrade. Reflection uses the Custom installation interface to display your existing installation's product feature selections. Before proceeding, click Next and verify that all of the features you need are enabled. If any features you require are not pre-selected, select them and then proceed with the upgrade installation.
- If you choose the "Typical" installation type during the 14.1 upgrade, the default features for these installation types will be applied rather than those features originally selected for Reflection 8.0â14.x. (The Reflection 8.0â14.x features will not be migrated to Reflection 14.1.)
- Reflection Command Language (RCL), Reflection Basic (RB), and VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) are all supported in this version of Reflection. No conversion is needed during the upgrade.
Reflection version 14.1 upgrades the following Reflection product versions:
- A single Reflection 14.1 product upgrades the equivalent Reflection product, version 8.0 or higher. (For example, Reflection for HP with NS/VT 14.1 upgrades Reflection for HP with NS/VT 13.0.)
- A Reflection 14.1 product suite upgrades a single Reflection product, version 8.0 or higher. (For example, Reflection for the Multi-Host Enterprise 14.1 will upgrade Reflection for UNIX and OpenVMS 13.0 because the single product is included in the suite.)
- Reflection 14.1 upgrades an evaluation copy of Reflection 8.0 or higher.
- An evaluation copy of Reflection 14.1 upgrades an installation of Reflection 8.0 or higher.
Warning: If you plan to reinstall a custom installation of Reflection 8.0 or higher, you must save the Reflection settings and customizations prior to installing an evaluation copy of Reflection 14.1. For information about saving customized settings before uninstalling Reflection, see KB 7021647.
Install and Deployment Issues
Consider these issues when installing and deploying a Reflection upgrade.
Supported Operating Systems
For information about platform support in Reflection, see KB 7021763.
Note: Beginning with Reflection version 14.1, the Microsoft Windows 2000 operating system is no longer supported. Beginning with Reflection version 13.0, the Microsoft Windows NT operating system is no longer supported, and beginning with Reflection version 11.0, the Windows 98 and ME operating systems are no longer supported.
You must have Administrative Rights to install Reflection or have the elevated privileges policy enabled by a system administrator.
If you are logged onto a domain, you can install Reflection under any of the following conditions:
- You are a member of Domain Admins.
- The Group Policy, "Always install with elevated privileges," is enabled.
- The Reflection installer package has been "assigned" or "published" to you via Active Directory.
Running Multiple Reflection Products
When installing multiple Reflection Windows-based products, utilities, or tools on the same machine you must:
- upgrade all Reflection products to the same version
- install each product to the same folder
Upgrade All Reflection Products to the Same Version
When upgrading Reflection products, upgrade all of the products, utilities, and tools (including Reflection Administrator's Toolkit) to the same version.
Reflection 14.1 may detect that you have installed multiple Reflection products and displays the following warning when you upgrade one of the Reflection products to version 14.1:
A prior version of Reflection has been detected and will be upgraded by this installation package.
If you do not upgrade all Reflection products on a single machine to version 14.1 at the same time, you will likely receive errors when attempting to run Reflection products that were not upgraded. For example, if Reflection for HP version 13.0 and Reflection X version 13.0 are installed on a single machine and you upgrade only Reflection X to version 14.1, Reflection for HP will fail to run and the following error will be displayed:
R1win.exe - Ordinal Not Found. The ordinal 8 could not be located in the dynamic link library rwidget.dll.
The solution is to upgrade both products to version 14.1.
Note: Attempting to install mixed versions of Reflection to a different location is not recommended and may also result in problems.
Install each product to the same folder
When installing multiple Reflection Windows-based products, install each product to the same folder. This ensures that shared files (such as DLLs and EXEs) will be registered to the same folder location in Windows registry.
Note: There are three exceptions to this rule, by default, Reflection for Secure IT and the Reflection Administrator's Toolkit are intentionally installed to different directories from the Reflection Windows-based products. Reflection NFS client must also be installed to a different directory. Do not install these products to the same folder as the Reflection Windows-based products.
Reflection Administrator's Toolkit
Beginning in Reflection 10.0, the Reflection Deployment Manager and product profilers were moved to a standalone installation package called the Reflection Administrator's Toolkit. This keeps the administrative tools off the user's desktop and in the control of the system administrator working with Reflection.
- If you are upgrading from 10.0, you must upgrade the Reflection Administrator's Toolkit to 14.1 after you upgrade your Reflection product.
- If you are upgrading from 8.0-9.x and you have Reflection Deployment Manager or a product Profiler installed, these features will be removed when you upgrade to Reflection 11.0 or higher. To reinstall these features, install the Reflection Administrator's Toolkit after you upgrade your Reflection product.
The installer for the Reflection Administrator's Toolkit checks to see which Reflection products are on your computer and installs appropriate tools for those products.
Upgrade Feature Migration versus Set Installation Options
Reflection Customization Manager (called Reflection Deployment Manager in version 11.0 or earlier) enables you to select which features to install using Set Installation Options. These selections are saved in a transform and are applied during the installation process. It is important to note that upgrade feature migration overrides the installation options set in a transform.
For example, if the Reflection FTP feature was installed in an earlier version of Reflection, Reflection FTP would be upgraded to 14.1, even if the user upgrades with a transform that specifies to not install the Reflection FTP feature in Reflection 14.1.
Modified or Discontinued Features
This section describes feature modifications and lists discontinued features to be aware of when upgrading Reflection.
Reflection Security Components
Starting in Reflection 11.0, Reflection security features are incorporated in the product. In Reflection 10.x, security features were provided as a separate component, Reflection Security Components, which is no longer available. If you require security features for Reflection 10.x, you must upgrade to a later version of Reflection.
Detecting Earlier Versions
Reflection 11.0 or higher detects earlier Reflection Security Components versions and upgrades them. Earlier versions of the Reflection Security Components will be removed from the Add/Remove Programs list.
- Reflection is no longer supported on Windows 2000 and will not install on this operating system.
- The following features are no longer included with any Reflection products: Reflection LPD Server, Reflection Virtual Desktop, Reflection TimeSync, Reflection Ping. If you have any of these utilities installed on your system, they are removed when you upgrade to 14.1.
- Reflection NFS Client is no longer included with Reflection products, and you should not install Reflection 14.1 directly over any existing Reflection installation that includes Reflection NFS. If you need to continue using Reflection NFS Client, refer to Technical 2495 before installing Reflection 14.1.
Note: Reflection 14.1 products cannot be installed in the same directory as the Reflection NFS Client 14.0.x. If Reflection NFS is detected, the Reflection 14.1 installation will stop and you will receive the following error, "Installation of this product will be compromised because of incompatibility with one or more products." For more information and to work around this error, see KB 7021728.
- LK450 keyboard support is no longer included with Reflection products. If you installed this feature with a previous version of Reflection, it remains functional when you upgrade to 14.1.
Version- or Product-Specific Issues
This section describes issues related to specific Reflection versions or products.
Name and Folder Location Changes
Several folder locations have changed beginning in version 14.0. This affects the installation folder, user folder, Start Menu shortcut folder name, title bar, and the product listing in Add/Remove Programs:
Starting in version 14.0, the default installation folder is C:\Program Files\Attachmate\Reflection. The location in earlier versions is C:\Program Files\Reflection. You can change the location by choosing a different destination folder during the installation.
If you are upgrading to Reflection 14.1, the previous installation will be detected, and Reflection will continue to use the previous version location.
Your Reflection settings are stored in the Reflection folder. Beginning in version 14.0, the default folder location is My Documents\Attachmate\Reflection. You can change the location by customizing the installation using the Reflection Customization Wizard.
In earlier versions, the default user folder location is My Documents\Reflection. If you are upgrading to Reflection 14.1, the previous installation will be detected and Reflection will continue to use the previous folder locations. This ensures that the previous settings (and other associated files) will be found by Reflection 14.1.
If you choose to remove the earlier version of Reflection before installing version 14.1, Reflection will use the new folder location, and your previous settings will not be found by version 14.1. To continue to use the previous settings, you can either use the Reflection Customization Wizard to configure the installation to use the previous version folder location, or you can copy the contents of the Reflection folder to the new folder location, My Documents\Attachmate\Reflection.
Start Menu Shortcut Folder Name
Beginning in version 14.0, the default Start Menu shortcut folder name is Start Menu\Programs\Attachmate Reflection. In earlier versions, the location is Start Menu\Programs\WRQ Reflection (or Reflection or a customized folder name). You can change the default location by customizing the installation using the Reflection Customization Wizard.
If you are upgrading from version 14.0, the installation will detect the previous version and Reflection will continue to use the previous Start Menu location.
Title Bar Name
Settings files will now display the Window title, "<file name> - Reflection product>."
Beginning in Reflection 14.0, the product is listed in Add/Remove Programs under "Attachmate Reflection" instead of "WRQ Reflection" or "Reflection."
Repair on First Run of Reflection X
The first time Reflection X version 12.0 or higher is run after upgrading from Reflection X version 9.x, the installer may run briefly to complete the installation.
Upgrading Localized Versions of Reflection 8.x
Beginning in version 9.0, localized versions of Reflection are no longer separate products. Every Reflection product, version 9.0 or higher, includes localized product support.
Reflection 9.0 or higher defaults to the language of the operating system locale or to the language you select from the Reflection CD Setup panel. This is true for both new installations and upgrades.
To change the language for Reflection version 9.0 or higher, select "Change install language" in the Reflection CD Setup panel.
Different or additional languages can be selected during installation. On the Select Features panel, add the language(s) you would like to install.