Before You Upgrade to InfoConnect Desktop
Carefully review this section before upgrading to InfoConnect Desktop products (or an evaluation copy of InfoConnect Desktop products).
- You cannot retain an earlier version of InfoConnect when you install InfoConnect Desktop, even if InfoConnect is installed in a different folder. The earlier version will be removed by the upgrade. Note: User-created configuration files will be preserved.
- If you plan to return to a custom installation of InfoConnect, you must save the InfoConnect settings and customizations prior to installing InfoConnect Desktop.
- Removing InfoConnect Desktop will not restore the previous version of InfoConnect. To return to earlier versions of InfoConnect, you must uninstall InfoConnect Desktop and then reinstall InfoConnect. InfoConnect settings and customizations can be reapplied only if they were saved prior to the InfoConnect Desktop upgrade.
- You must be installing InfoConnect Desktop 17.0 or higher on a 64-bit operating system. See KB 7024881.
- Many of the files created by earlier products are supported in InfoConnect Desktop. InfoConnect Crosstalk Application Scripting Language (CASL) and EXTRA! Basic (EB) macros are all supported in InfoConnect Desktop without doing any conversion. For more information about supported legacy file types, see KB 7021411.
- For information about folder location changes, see KB 7021416.
To learn about new features in InfoConnect Desktop products, see KB 7021853.
Upgrading from Earlier Versions of InfoConnect
InfoConnect Desktop products will upgrade from InfoConnect version 8.0 through 9.x.
The older products above are automatically removed when you upgrade to InfoConnect Desktop by running setup.exe.
Upgrade Scenarios Not Supported
The installer will block certain upgrade scenarios where a significant loss of features may occur. In these situations, the installer displays a message, âMicro Focus InfoConnect Desktop cannot be installed on this computer.â If the loss of features is acceptable, remove the existing older product, and then re-run the new installer. If a loss of features is not acceptable, install the new product on a separate system.
Installing and Deploying
For information about installing and deploying InfoConnect Desktop products, see the Installation and Deployment Guide: https://www.attachmate.com/documentation/infoconnect-16/infoconnect-deploy-guide/data/bookinfo.htm
Deploying the *.msi Installer Package Directly
If you deploy the installer package (*.msi) file directly (using msiexec command or third-party tool) instead of running the setup.exe installer, note the following requirements:
- You must first uninstall the existing older product before installing the InfoConnect Desktop product. (If you attempt to deploy the .msi file directly and have not removed the earlier version, a message tells you to uninstall the older software first.)
- You must first deploy Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.7.1 (or higher) as a separate package to workstations where it is not installed.
- Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) version 4.5 (or higher) must be installed.
- If you plan to use the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) feature, deploy the additional Microsoft VBA 7.1 core and language-specific *.msi packages in the Prerequisites\VB71 folder.
The information in this section does not apply if you install using setup.exe, which removes the older product and installs any necessary prerequisites.