This article describes the process of resetting the 'root' account password on the PlateSpin Forge Appliance host.
If the 'root' account password gets lost and no other root-equivalent accounts such as 'forgeuser' are accessible, the following steps may be taken to reset the password for the 'root' account:
- Shutdown the Forge Management VM by logging into it via Remote Desktop and following the normal Windows soft shutdown process.
- Manually shutdown the Forge Appliance by physically holding down the power button for 5 seconds, then power it back on by pressing the power button once again.
This can also be done remotely via RAC. Please follow article TID 7921055 to set up a RAC connection to the Forge Appliance.
- As soon as the GRUB boot screen is displayed, press "a" to modify the kernel arguments:
- Enter single user mode by typing "single" and pressing Enter at the next prompt:
- Change the root password using the 'passwd' command as illustrated in the screenshot below. The new root password will need to be entered twice as prompted.
- Reboot the Forge Appliance by typing in the 'reboot' command without quotes and pressing Enter:
- Once the appliance boots back up, verify the new password yields access to the Appliance.