Extra! 6530 Client Option version 9.4
This technical note describes the features, fixes, and release notes for Extra! 9.4.
Note: This release pack supersedes 9.3 Service Pack 1 Update 1 which released in August 2015. See KB 7021714.
Upgrading HP NonStop/Tandem/6530 Emulation
If you are licensed for Extra! 6530 Client Option (CAIL add-on for HP NonStop/Tandem emulation support), an additional product must be separately applied.
To apply Extra! 6530 Client Option 9.4 to your new installation of Extra! X-treme version 9.4:
- Download and run extra6530-9.4.0-prod-w32.exe.
- Extract the installation image (default location C:\MicroFocus\Extra!-6530-Option-v9.4.0).
- Run setup.exe to install the 6530 Client Option.
- Continue to finish the upgrade by following the installation wizard instructions.
Extra! 9.4 New Features and Fixes
Extra! 9.4 includes the following new features and resolved issues.
Micro Focus branding
Attachmate is now part of Micro Focus, and thus you will notice some changes as we bring a consistent user experience across all emulation products:
- Splash screens, banners, and icons have the new Micro Focus brand.
- For new installations, the default Program Files and User Data Directory folders include Micro Focus as the company name. For existing installations, or for upgrade scenarios, the user data (session files) and the application directory will remain in the same file location to ensure proper workflow.
Microsoft Office 2013 Integration (32-bit and 64-bit)
Office integration features tested and supported with Microsoft Office 2013, 32- and 64-bit. For more information about productivity features, see KB 7021886.
Reflection Certificate Manager
The Reflection Certificate Manager is now included within Extra! to manage digital certificates for 3270 sessions and configures aspects of Reflection PKI support. The Reflection certificate store can be used for authentication during Secure Shell and/or SSL/TLS sessions. Extra! can authenticate using digital certificates located in either the Windows certificate store or the Reflection certificate store (or both). For more information about Reflection Certificate Manager, see https://docs.attachmate.com/extra/x-treme/9.4/help/en/b1lgtwz9.htm.
FIPS 140-2 Validation when configured for Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.2
TLS 1.2 secured connections can now be validated using FIPS 140-2. TLS 1.2 provides better security of data in motion with more secure confidentiality and integrity using AES GCM mode, SHA256 hashing and additional protocol protections
For TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.2 configurations, the âVerify Server Certificateâ checkbox allows the enablement or disablement of host certificate chain validation. Disabling this option can make connections vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks which could compromise the security of the connection. Customers should be aware of the introduction of possible vulnerabilities involved in disabling this setting.
Reflection FTP Client integrated into Extra! 9.4 Setup Feature Tree
Reflection Secure FTP is provided in the feature tree for the Extra! 9.4 installer. This feature is included in the feature tree upon default installation. During an upgrade from a previous version of Extra!, if the Reflection FTP client is installed as a stand-alone product, this existing installation of the FTP client will be removed so the integrated installation can occur.
- Extra! 9.4 disables 40 and 56-bit ciphers used during TLS connections for increased default security so the settings no longer appear in the encryption strength dropdown box. Host sessions previously configured for 40 and 56-bit ciphers will continue to connect but will be automatically changed to the âAutoâ dropdown option on the âConfigure Connectionâ configuration screen for TLS in 3270 and 5250 sessions (VT not supported).
- Support has been added to Extra! 9.4 for SSL/TLS Certificate Path Validation to use the configured proxy settings in Internet Explorer to connect to the internet.
- The APPN Node (typically for DLC and SDLC connections) is no longer installed by default in the Extra! 9.4 feature tree and requires manual selection if these connection types are desired.
- Changes have been made to the Custom Installation Wizard (CIW) to remove icons for features that are no longer supported (such as Configuration Publisher and Distribution Publisher), and to uncheck the box to "Install Attachmate DLC driver on XP".
Tandem 6530/HP NonStop Updates
With the 9.4 release, Tandem encryption has been strengthened:
- Support for SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0 (9.3 versions and earlier support these) is removed.
- Support for TLS 1.2 is now provided.
In addition, in order to get TLS 1.1 and later support, 6530 customers will need to update their server component.
The Secure Web and Proxy Server (SWAP) version 21.0.0 and later is the required NonStop SSL that supports TLSv1.1 envelopes for proper functionality with Extra! 9.4.
The following issues have been resolved in Extra! X-treme version 9.4
- Launching a display session (EDP file) with a TN3270 Associated printer session (EPP file) via an OLE application will now correctly launch both the display and printer sessions in a reliable manner. The associated printer session will properly reconnect after a network failure, can be launched in a hidden mode, and can use a port number defined in the configuration .EPP file.
- The correct number of host session rows and columns will now always display based on the custom settings configured in Extra! for SSH connected sessions.
- While performing a file transfer to an iSeries Host running V7R1 iOS with PTF level TL13037 the error message "Unable to retrieve server attributes from." is no longer received.
- In Extra!, the Right Control Key (CTRL) does auto-repeat with its default (NewLine) assignment, and once manually remapped to anything, including back to NewLine, the auto-repeat continues to function.
- Extra! can now successfully establish a TLS connection when the users My Documents location is not available or accessible.
- The error "Scheme page(s) not found" no longer occurs when clicking on the "Keyboard Maps" button when it is added to a 3270 toolbar.
- Resolved an issue where random errors of âFailed to destroy ACT_aomTN3270 Objectâ¦" occurred when connecting and disconnecting numerous Extra! TN3270 sessions at the same time.
- Added a Keep Alive Option for 3270 and 5250 Telnet and TLS connections. This option is enabled by adding KeepAlive=TRUE in the [Connection] section of an .EDP file and then adding a DWORD named KeepAliveTime at HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, which specifies the number of milliseconds between transmissions. See https://support.microfocus.com/kb/doc.php?id=7024214 for additional details.
These connection types are no longer supported:
- For 5250 sessions, MPTN Direct Connect is no longer supported in Extra! 9.4.
- For 5250 sessions, Attachmate SNA Gateway via Client is longer supported in Extra! 9.4.
- For 5250 sessions, Netware for SAA via IBMâs client is no longer supported in Extra! 9.4.
For more information about Extra!, see the Technical Resources page at https://support.microfocus.com/product/?prod=XTREME.