This technical note describes how to upgrade Reflection on workstations where a previous version of Reflection was installed using the Group Policy software installation feature of the Windows 2000 (or higher) operating system.
New Release Available Now
Reflection 14.1 is available beginning in June 2010. For a list of new features and release notes, see KB 7021727. Note: Beginning in 14.1, Windows 2000 is no longer supported.
Reflection 14.0 is available beginning in June 2006.
- For a list of what's new in Reflection 14.0, see KB 7021760. For information about upgrading to Reflection 14.0, see KB 7021761.
- For information about purchasing Reflection, please e-mail us: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit https://www.attachmate.com/How+To+Buy/.
Who Should Use this Note
The instructions in this note assume that you previously deployed a Reflection installation package using the Windows 2000 (or higher) Group Policy software installation feature.
This note is intended for use by system administrators who are experienced in working with Microsoft's Active Directory and group policies. For more information about using Windows 2000 Group Policy software installation, see http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/maintain/featusability/inmnwp.mspx
If you are not using Microsoft group policy to deploy the Reflection upgrade, see KB 7021654 for details about upgrading an Administrative Installation.
Before You Begin Upgrading
Before you begin the upgrade, read through the following facts about how the upgrade affects your current installation.
- Do not install the Reflection upgrade to the same administrative installation point used for an earlier Reflection installation. Create a new network installation point for the Reflection upgrade.
- If you plan to deploy a customized installation of Reflection, use Reflection Customization Manager to create the Administrative installation point.
- If you customized the deployment of your earlier installation and wish to retain these customizations, you must customize the new administrative installation in the same manner, before deploying the upgrade. If you do not, you will lose the added files and profiling customizations when the upgrade is deployed.
- You cannot add or remove product features by creating a transform and using the Set Installation Options in Reflection Customization Manager. This setting is overwritten by the upgrade migration process. The upgrade always installs the features selected during the original product installation.
- If you set any features in the earlier installation of Reflection to "Install on demand" and your user(s) did not install the features, after the upgrade the features are set to "Install to local hard drive." This behavior cannot be modified.
- To retain any additional files included with earlier installations of Reflection, you must re-add each additional file to the new administrative installation. If the files are not re-added, they will be deleted during the upgrade. The Reflection Customization Manager can be used to move the additional files between administrative installations or to a companion package.
This feature was not available in all versions of Reflection Deployment Manager.
- If you want additional files to remain after future upgrades (or uninstalls) of the product, select the "Make this file permanent" check box in the Add File to Installation dialog box in the Reflection Customization Manager.
Alternately, using a companion package enables you to retain additional files when you upgrade or uninstall Reflection. For more information about companion packages, see the "Make Additional Files Available for Your Users with Companion Packages" section in the Preparing to Deploy Guide at https://www.attachmate.com/docs/reflection/14.1/deploy.pdf (PDF format).
Profiling Product Functions
- You must redo any product profiling done for an earlier installation. If you do not re-profile the products, the profiling will be lost when upgrading.
Deploying with a Group Policy
Follow these steps to use group policy to upgrade your deployment of Reflection.
- In Windows, start the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in.
- In the console tree, right-click the organizational unit to which you want to deploy Reflection and click Properties.
- In the Acct Properties dialog box, click the Group Policy tab.
- Click New to create a new Group Policy Object (GPO) and enter a name for the GPO. Click Edit to open the Group Policy window.
- You can assign or publish Reflection to computers or users.
To assign to a computer: In the left pane, expand Computer Configuration, and then expand Software Settings.
To assign or publish to users: In the left pane, expand User Configuration, and then expand Software Settings.
- For each configuration (Computer or User), right-click Software Installation, and click New > Package.
- In the Open dialog box, select the Reflection installation package (such as SX130ilc.msi), and click Open.
- If you want to add a transform, select "Advanced publish or assigned" in the Deploy Software dialog box. Click OK.
Note: You cannot add a transform if you select either "Published" or "Assigned."
After a pause, the Reflection Properties dialog box displays.
- Click the Deployment tab and select your deployment type â Published or Assigned.
- Choose the Upgrades tab. The Reflection installation package will be listed in the "Packages that this package will upgrade" field, along with the word "Upgrade."
On the Upgrades tab in the Reflection Properties dialog box, Attachmate recommends you select the "Require upgrade for existing packages" check box to require the package to be upgraded.
- If your installation is customized, click the Modifications tab.
Click Add, and browse to the transform (*.mst) you created. Click Open.
To add another transform, click Add, browse to and open the next transform.
- On the Modifications tab, use the Move Up and Move Down buttons to place the transforms in the correct sequence.
Important: Do not click OK until all of the transforms are added and ordered correctly.
- When all of your transforms are added and placed in the correct order, click OK. Then, click OK to deploy your Reflection software upgrade (according to your selection in step 9) to the organizational unit.