We are required to run antivirus software on all of our servers. What directories should be exclude for Retain?
Antivirus can really hamper the performance of your Retain system. For most customers, the risk of infection on a server where web browsing is not done does not does not merit impact to business processes, so they do not run antivirus on their Retain servers. But, there are some that are required by policy.
If you have to run antivirus, it depends on what you are trying to catch. If you are allowed to exclude at will (recommended but obviously considered less secure), we would recommend these exclusions, including subdirectories:
- The following storage directories:
- Log directory
- Retain program directory:
- Linux: /opt/beginfinite/retain
- Windows: [drive]:\Program Files\Beginfinite\Retain
- If MySQL or MS SQL are installed on the local Retain server, you'll want to exclude their data directories. If you are using MySQL locally and do not know where the data directory is, see "How to Find Your MySQL Data Directory Containing Your Retain Database".