PlateSpin Migrate used to discover a target MSVS server.
When attempting to discover a Microsoft Virtual Server, the machine is discovered as a regular machine.
This behavior can occur if one or more of the following is true:
- MSVS service is not running on the machine being discovered
- The credentials used to add the MSVS host to the inventory do not have MSVS administrative privileges
- PowerRecon was originally installed before PowerConvert and has subsequently been uninstalled - during installation, the vssrvc.exe file (used to register a MSVS host) is copied to a non-shared location. This location (which is dependant on the PowerRecon install location), is then stored in the registry. During the PowerConvert install, the installer will check if the type library is already registered, and if it is (i.e. PowerRecon was already installed) it will not register it again. However, if a user uninstalls PowerRecon, then the registration will be broken and the MSVS host will be inventoried as a normal physical machine.
- PowerConvert was previously installed and uninstalled, however the user is now reinstalling PowerConvert to a different directory path location. Upon reinstall, the installer will check if the type library is already registered, and if it is - it will not register it again. In this particular scenario, the registry entry will still exist from the previous PowerConvert installation but will be pointing to a different location as the vssrvc.exe has been reinstalled into a different directory path. As a result, the registration will be broken and the MSVS host will be inventoried as a normal physical machine.
To resolve this issue, the following steps are required:
- Undiscover the MSVS host from the PowerConvert Client
- Download the PlateSpin Register Server utility for MSVS by clicking here (A valid PlateSpin download account is required)
- Delete the following registry key from the PowerConvert Server:
- Copy the utility downloaded in step 2 to the PowerConvert Server
- On the PowerConvert Server, open a command prompt, navigate to the directory where the utility resides and
execute the following command:
PlateSpin.RegisterMSVS.exe /register /path="[INSTALLDIR]\ThirdParty\vssrvc.exe"
-> where [INSTALLDIR] is the directory where the PowerConvert Server was installed. By default this is "\Program Files\PlateSpin PowerConvert Server"
- Proceed to re-discover the MSVS host. It should now be discovered correctly.