The following article will outline the required procedures for creating a PlateSpin Flexible Image from a Raw Volume data created by IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM).
Please note that the below does not apply to Domain Controllers. Domain Controller images can be created only with PlateSpin Take Control Transfer.
When restoring a system backup (e.g. C drive) with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager restore the System State cannot be restored to an alternate location (for example to a folder). In order to use the restore output when creating a PlateSpin Flexible Image (from Raw Volume Data) PlateSpin recommends to use a combination of IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) and Windows NTBackup. IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) will be used to backup and restore the entire C drive and NTbackup will be used to backup and restore the system State files.
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) Backup and restore procedures:
- Using IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) backup the entire C drive of the system
- The TSM restore must be redirected to a folder on the PlateSpin Image Server (Note - this article will use F:\restore\ as an example for the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) restore output folder)
- When restoring the a folder ensure that the structure of the C drive will be intact (e.g. the root of F:\restore\ must show the Windows Directory, Program Files Directory, etc.)
NTBackup backup and restore procedures:
- Open NTbackup and select to backup the System State of the server and the boot.ini of the server
- Using NTbackup Restore the System State and the boot.ini to the same folder the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager restore was directed to(e.g. F:\restore\)
- Once the restore process is done the following steps must be performed before the image creation process:
- Ensure that boot.ini exists under the root of F:\restore\
- Browse to F:\restore\Boot files\C_\ - and copy all folders (.e.g. Windows, Program Files, Document and Settings, etc.) to the root of the restore folder (.e.g. F:\restore\) - when prompted for file overwrite click "Yes to all" as many times as needed until the copy is completed
- Browse to F:\restore\Boot files\ - and copy ntdlr and ntdetect to the root of the restore folder (.e.g. F:\restore\) - when prompted for the file overwrite click "yes" for both files
- Browse to F:\restore\Registry\ - and copy all files (e.g. default, SAM, Security, software, and system) to F:\restore\Windows\System32\CONFIG\ - (these are the system registry files)
- Once the above steps have been completed the F:\restore\Boot files\ and the F:\restore\Registry\ folders can be removed
Upon completion of the above steps use the restore directory as a Mapping path for the source's C drive during the PlateSpin Flexible Image creation.
For complete instructions on how to create PlateSpin Flexible Images using Raw Volume Data please refer to the PlateSpin PowerConvert User Guide.
For more information on IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) backup and restore features please refer to your IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) literature.