PlateSpin Protect, Migrate, and Forge.
When performing a conversion, the following error message may appear on the target machine:
The above error appears to occur when converting source machines that contain the Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 security update.
Workaround # 1
To prevent the above error from occurring, the following workaround is advised:
- Clean up the previous failed conversion (See TID 7920039 for more details)
- Uninstall the Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 security update from the source machine
- Retry the conversion
Microsoft is aware of the issue and it has posted a Knowledge Base article about it:
Workaround # 2
Recovery of the VM is possible by performing the following procedures:
- Boot the target physical or virtual machine using Windows 2000 installation CD and access recovery console
- Browse to %windir%\system32\drivers\ and rename scsiport.sys to scsiport.old
- Copy the scsiport.sys file from %windir%\$NtUpdateRollupPackUninstall$\ to %windir%\system32\drivers\
- Restart the target virtual/physical machine - it should load and continue the configuration service - please allow the target machine enough time to complete the configuration (around 30-90 minutes)
The above article contains a Recovery Console workaround that might help you to recover the Target Machine.
Microsoft recently released Update Roll Up 1 version 2 which doesn't cause the issue above. Microsoft recommends to install version 2.