If this is being caused by TCP/IP not being active in SQL, activate it and restart the SQL services.
- From the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 -> Configuration Tools, open the 'Microsoft SQL Server Configuration Manager'.
- Expand ?SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration?, and then click ?Protocols for <Instance Name>?.
<Instance Name> is the name of the instance of Microsoft SQL Express being used by the GFI product.
- Right-click ?TCP/IP? and then click ?Enable?. The icon for the protocol will change to show that the protocol is enabled.
Then proceed with the Security Manager install as normal.
If this issue is because of a non-standard port do the following:
1. Start the install of SM as normal.
2. When you get to the database name screen use to following structure <SQLServerName>,<Port> then proceed with the installation normally.
This will force the SM installer to use the specified ports instead of the defaults.