AppManager for Unix 6.2
UNIX_Syslog Knowledge Script
Red Hat Linux
UNIX_Syslog accumulates filehandles on busy servers.
Syslog file created when running the UNIX_Syslog Knowledge Script grows continuously and can cause disk usage problems.
When the UNIX_Syslog KS is used, it creates a seperate "syslog" in the $NQMAGT_HOME/log directory. This file continues to grow until the agent is stopped using the nqmdaemon script. It is possible and likely that the users may run the UNIX Agent for a long period of time before stopping it. As a result, the agent syslog file can grow to a very large size. The situation can cause disk usage problem, and inefficiency in reading new messages.
This hotfix is recommended for all users running the AppManager UNIX agent version 6.0.2 with AppManager version 6.0.2 on all UNIX platforms. This hotfix updates the libsyslog.so file.
- Be aware of the following known limitations as you run the AppManager UNIX agent version 6.0.2:
- Before restarting the syslog process or the UNIX agent, you must either move the old syslog files from the $NQMAGT_HOME/log directory to some other location or delete them.
- If the syslog process is running, you should not attempt to delete the syslog or syslog.(n) file (where n = 1, 2, 3....6) in the $NQMAGT_HOME/log directory.
- The two threshold conditions applicable for writing into the syslog file are 1 MB or 72 hours, whichever is earlier. If the syslog file reaches either of these threshold limits, it is deleted and a new syslog file, syslog.(n), is created (where n = 1, 2, 3....6).
To install the hotfix:
- Download the installation package (AM602_UNIX_62_Hotfix54294.exe) located at: https://www.netiq.com/support/am/hotfixes/default.asp?version=602&productID=AMU
- Extract the contents of the downloaded package (this ReadMe file and a tar file) to a specific folder. The default location is C:\Program Files\NetIQ.
- Log on to your UNIX computer with root privileges.
- Copy the AM602_UNIX_62_Hotfix54294.tar file from the folder, to your UNIX computer.
- In the directory where you copied the .tar file, enter the following command:
- tar -xvf AM602_UNIX_62_Hotfix54294.tar
- (This unpacks the files AM602_UNIX_62_Hotfix54294.sh and libsyslog.so/sl into the current directory.)
Based on the OS, this script will deploy the appropriate libsyslog.so or libsyslog.sl file for the platform.