How can I automate the UpdateWin2k spreadsheet to retrieve or push data at scheduled intervals?
Is it possible to schedule the UpdateWin2k spreadsheet to push or pull data from Active Directory?
Can I run UpdateWin2K spreadsheet functions from the command line?
How do I schedule a recurring operation in my UpdateWin2k Excel file?
Directory and Resource Administrator 6.x
Directory and Resource Administrator 7.x
You can automate the UpdateWin2k Spreadsheet, with some minor configuration changes.
To make the necessary changes:
- Make a copy of the spreadsheet and rename it something logical like 'Push' or 'Pull,' depending on the operation you want to automate.
- Open the new copy of the spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel and click OK to acknowledge the warning message. The warning is disabled by this process.
- Go to Tools > Macro > Visual Basic Editor.
- In the Project pane, double-click ThisWorkbook.
- Clear all text in the Code window.
- Click Save and close Visual Basic Editor.
- Close and re-launch the spreadsheet. If the code was deleted properly, the warning message no longer displays.
- Fill out the required fields on either the Retrieve Data page or the Update Data page.
- Configure the Win2k Data page with column headings that represent the desired properties.
- Click Save.
- Go to Tools > Macro > Record New Macro.
- Name the macro 'Auto_Open'. This is necessary for the macro to run automatically when you open the spreadsheet.
- Click OK.
- Click on either Retrieve Data or Update Data, depending on the operation you want to automate.
- Click OK.
- Go to Tools > Macro > Stop Recording.
- Click Save and close the spreadsheet.
You should now be able to launch the spreadsheet from a command line or batch file, making it possible to schedule the operation.
If you do not receive the pop-up warning message box in Step 2, you may need to lower your macro security. To make this change, go to Tools > Macro > Security, select Low, and click OK.
Warning: THE UPDATEWIN2K SPREADSHEET IS A LIVE WORKING SAMPLE PROGRAM.
Any changes that you make to this sample WILL affect your working environment.
This sample program is provided 'as-is,' without warranty of any kind. NetIQ Corporation disclaims all implied warranties without limitation, including any implied warranties of merchantability or of fitness for a particular purpose. The entire risk arising out of the use of or performance of the software remains with you.