Exchange Migrator 2.x
Error: 'CreateMailbox first attempt hr= [HR=0x8000ffff]'
Error: 'Create mailbox second attempt failed [CN=Mailbox Store (ServerName),CN=First Storage Group,CN=InformationStore,CN=serverName,CN=Servers,CN=First Administrative Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=AdministrativeGroupName,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=Domain,DC=com][HR=0x8000ffff]'
Error: 'ProcessHelperForMdb... failed to migrate object [/o=OrgName/ou=SourceSite/cn=Recipients/cn=mailboxName][HR=0x8000ffff]'
The 8000ffff error code, when returned by CDO for Exchange Management, equates to an error message of 'The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted'. With Exchange, this error is typically caused by a Global Catalog server not being available for the domain that the target Exchange server is a member. This can either be a result of DNS not being able to resolve a Global Catalog server or the Global Catalog server being down or unreachable.
To test availability of the Global Catalog server from the Exchange Migrator (EM) console:
Note: This test requires the Windows Support Tools be installed on the EM console.
- Open a command prompt
NLTEST /DSGETDC:domain /GC
- Where domain is the NetBIOS name of the target domain.
- If a server is returned, enter
- Where serverName is the name of the DC that is returned as the Global Catalog server.
ping -a ip.address
- Where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the IP address that is returned by the original PING.
Choose one of the following steps to resolve this issue:
- Install or join the EM console into the same domain as the target Exchange server.
- If the EM console is already a member of the target domain, or you cannot move/install an EM console in the target domain, and you notice issues when trying to contact the Global Catalog server, resolve these resolution issues and try the migration again.
- Point the EM console to a DNS server in the same domain as the target Exchange server.
For more information, contact Technical Support at www.netiq.com/support.