Directory and Resource Administrator 7.0
Directory and Resource Administrator 7.0 SP1
Event ID 13440: 'The DRA server refresh thread has started, it will be doing a Delta refresh' appears on the secondary DRA server every 4 hours in the Application log, regardless of the Multimaster synchronization schedule.
Intermittent performance problems experienced on the secondary Directory and Resource Administration Server.
Multimaster related jobs run every 4 hours on the secondaries.
This is corrected in DRA 7.5 and later. To resolve this issue upgrade to the latest version of DRA.
In Multimaster Replication, the primary Directory and Resource Administrator (DRA) server copies files from the primary server to the secondary server. Then the primary server makes a call to the secondary server to load in the new files.
When the primary has copied the files to the secondary, the call from the primary to the secondary to refresh itself may fail. Due to this, the secondary periodically checks for new files to make the system more robust.
There are two jobs that run on each of the secondaries that are set to run every 4 hours by default. The jobs can be found in the registry at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mission Critical Software\OnePoint\Administration\Modules\ServerConfiguration
and are called:
- PingMMServers.Freq (Performs a ping to make sure the other secondaries are available)
- MmSecServerRefresh.Freq (Backup if the call from the primary to the secondary to load in the new Multimaster information fails)
These intervals are not modifiable via the GUI and also are not replicated in the Multimaster Replication. Although generally quick jobs, they do require a write lock on the cache. This could cause write operations jobs to back up, resulting in a performance impact. It is recommended to make the frequency of these jobs less often so the jobs are not running during peak hours. To modify the schedule of these jobs:
- Open Regedit on each of the secondary servers.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mission Critical Software\OnePoint\Administration\Modules\ServerConfiguration
- Change PingMMServers.Freq and MmSecServerRefresh.Freq to a value of Daily 23:00 (or the desired time).
- Restart the NetIQ Administration Server service.
- Repeat for each DRA server in the Multimaster set.