How do I save my domain keys in case I have to reinstall VigilEnt Security Server?
VigilEnt Security Manager 4.1
To export and import the domain keys:
- On the VSS computer that registered the agents, browse to the C:\Program Files\NetIQ VigilEnt Security Manager\VSS folder.
- Double-click the VSS-export-keys.bat file.
- At the Filename prompt, type the name of the file to store the domain keys and press Enter.
- At the Password prompt, type a password that the other VigilEnt Security Server must use to access the domain keys for importing and press Enter.
- For each VSS computer that needs to access the agents registered on the original VSS, complete the following steps:
- Double-click the VSS-import-keys.bat file.
- At the Filename prompt, type the name of the file where the domain keys were stored and press Enter.
- At the Password prompt, type the password to access the domain keys and press Enter.
- Restart the VigilEnt Security Server service.
When you run VigilEnt Security Server for the first time, it generates a set of authentication keys called domain keys. If you are using a single Vigilent Security Server, it is recommended that you back up the domain keys for your VSS to a disk or another machine in case you need to re-install VSS at any point on that computer. Otherwise, when you install a new VSS, new keys will be created and you will not be able to access the agents you registered wit the set of domain keys generated by the initial VSS installation.
If you are using more than one VigilEnt Security Server, and if you register an agent in VigilEnt Security Manager (VSM) that supports shared secret authentication, another VigilEnt Security Server will not be able to communicate with that agent unless it has those domain keys. You must export the domain keys from your VigilEnt Security Server, and the other VigilEnt Security Server must import those keys to communicate with that agent.