Can I manage resources like services on machines that are not part of the domain but are in a workgroup?
Directory and Resource Administrator 7.x
Yes, Directory and Resource Administrator can manage resources on machines that are part of a workgroup, if the server is configured to be managed. To set the servers to be managed, perform the following:
- Open the Delegation and Configuration GUI.
- Expand Configuration Management | Managed Domains.
- Select New Managed Domain... from the Task menu.
- Select Next on the welcome screen.
- Select Manage a Computer radio button and enter the computer name and Next.
- Select User the following account to access this domain or server: radio button.
- Enter an override account to use to manage this server in the format Server_name\account.
- Click Finish.
- Select Yes when prompted with "You must refresh the domain configuration before the changes take effect. would you like to refresh the domain configuration now?"
You will then be able to list the server under Account and Resource Management and manage Resources of that machine. However, by adding additional servers to be managed by DRA this means that:
- The user accounts on the member server are counted towards licensing.
- A cache refresh will be scheduled for each managed member server.