How do I import objects from a .CSV file into Exchange Migrator?
Exchange Migrator 1.x
Exchange Migrator 2.x
The ability to import a .CSV file was first introduced in Exchange Migrator 2.0. A .CSV file can be populated with an export from an application such as Exchange Administrator or by manually entering the domain accounts needed. Verify that a .CSV file is formatted as Unicode (Unicode is not the default format for an Exchange 5.5 directory export) before importing it into Exchange Migrator. In addtion, each column in the file must be separated by a comma (,), each quote by a quote ("), and each property is surrounded by percent signs (%). When importing objects, Exchange Migrator allows the import of any object, including those that are hidden. To import the .CSV from the GUI:
- Open 'Exchange Migrator', select the appropriate project.
- Click Select Objects from the 'Welcome' screen, click Next.
- Choose the appropriate option when selecting the Source Credentials.
- On the 'Selection Mode' page, the default is set to Select objects by browsing the Global Address List.
- Change this to Select objects by importing a .CSV file.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
To import the .CSV from the CLI:
- Open a command prompt and CD to the Exchange Migrator directory (\Program Files\NetIQ\Exchange Migrator).
- Type the following:
- EMCLI IMPORT /PROJECT "<project_name>" /FILE "<csv_file>"
Where <project_name> is the name of the project you want populate with the imported mailboxes and <csv_file> is the name and path of the .csv file that you want to import.
- e.g. EMCLI IMPORT /PROJECT "My-Mig-Proj" /FILE "c:\My_Exch_Export.csv
NOTE: If a project name or file name contains spaces, enclose the name in quotation marks ("project name with spaces").
If you are looking for a simple method for sorting mailboxes using EM 1.0 to 1.1 SP2, the following is a workaround available which helps create a limited address book view.
To create a limited address book view please follow these steps:
- Open 'Exchange 5.5 Administrator'
- Click File
- Select New
- Select Other Address Book View
- Assign the 'Address Book View' a Display name and Directory name
- Select the 'Group By' tab
- Select at least one attribute; for example, Home Server.
This example will create an 'Address Book' view based on Home Server. 'Afterwards, only objects from this filtered view will be selectable in an Exchange Migrator project.
You can create a .CSV by exporting the objects from your source server. To find out more about this, please see the following articles:
- NETIQKB28085: What columns are needed in the CSV file to import into Exchange Migrator?
- NETIQKB23191: How to Export and Manipulate a CSV to import into Exchange Migrator.
- Q261112: XADM: Using Directory Export and Directory Import to Bulk Edit Mailbox Properties
Keep in mind that Exchange Migrator will only accept .CSV exported as Unicode.