How do I migrate a mailbox from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 without having a new NT account created?
Exchange Migrator 2.x
An account is created with the number 1 appended to the user name when migrating a 5.5 mailbox to Exchange 2000 in an upgraded target domain. In such a domain, the mailboxes are already associated with a an account in Active Directory, (I.e. User A). When the mailbox is migrated, this is when the account is created with the number 1 appended.
Conflict handling is primarily based on E-mail addresses and secondarily based on Alias. When there is an NT account and no mailbox with conflicting E-mail and Alias, then there is no conflict. However, when the mailbox is created, EM detects the exitsing user account and appends the number 1 to the user account that is created for the migrated mailbox.
If you already have populated AD and you want to merge the mailbox with this pre-existing account you can do either of the following:
In the Specify Migration Options wizard on the Select Windows 2000 Account Merge Options page there are a couple of options.
- Merge the Account with a Target that has the same SAMAccountName. This option will merge the mailbox with the Active Directory account if the Primary NT account on the 5.5 mailbox and the Active Directory account have the same SAMAccountName.
- Merge the account with a target account that has the same SIDHistory. This option will merge the mailbox with the Active Directory account if the SIDHistory of the AD account matches the SID of the Primary NT account of the 5.5 mailbox.
This would be the recommended way of merging the accounts.
However, If you do not have accounts that share a common SAMAccountName or SIDHistory you can do the following inorder to merge the two accounts.
- Mailbox enable the Active Directory user in Exchange 2000.
- Make sure the mailboxes do have a conflicting e-mail address on Source and Target Org (if you don't have this conflict, you will need to add a secondary SMTP address to cause the conflict).
- Make sure the 5.5 mailboxes are associated with the W2K user already. If they are associated with some other user you will need to switch the primary user account to the W2K user.
- When you migrate, select merge (under Conflict Handling).
This will merge the mailboxes and keep the existing Active Directory user.
You can also create a mapping file that will map existing users with the migrated mailboxes. To create the mapping file see
NETIQKB904: How to create a mapping file between mailboxes and existing NT user accounts.
A GUI solution for mapping existing accounts is being slated for a later release of the product.
Please contact Technical Support to create a Support Request for any issues you encounter that are not addressed by the User Guide, any Knowledge Base articles found on the website, or current hotfixes available for download.