NetIQ AppManager 7.0.x
Unable to Login to AppManager Operator Console
Login Option is Disabled (or Grayed Out)
Repository Field does not Automatically Populate the Name of the Database
Event ID: 17055
18452: Login failed for user 'probe'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection
To verify the SQL Probe account:
On the Microsoft SQL Server where the AppManager Repository (QDB) resides,
- Open SQL Server Enterprise Manager.
- Expand the SQL Server.
- Expand Security.
- Select Logins. The probe account should be listed on the right-hand side; if not, then the probe account will need to be recreated.
- Double-click the probe account to view the SQL Server Login Properties - probe.
- In the Password field, delete the contents to ensure that there is no password set (note: asterisks will appear even if the password field is null).
- Click OK.
- In the Confirm Password window, leave the field blank.
- Click OK.
For more information on recreating the SQL Server Probe account, refer to the following Article:
To view further documentation from Microsoft's web site about "PRB: Service Pack Setup May Fail If Probe Login or User Deleted (Q169603)" please access the link provided below:
PRB: Service Pack Setup May Fail If Probe Login or User Deleted
To set up Mixed Mode security
- Expand a server group.
- Right-click a server, and then click Properties.
- Click the Security tab.
- Under Authentication, click SQL Server and Windows.
Under Audit level, select the level at which user accesses to MicrosoftÂ® SQL Server? are recorded in the SQL Server error log:
None causes no auditing to be performed.
- Success causes only successful login attempts to be audited.
- Failure causes only failed login attempts to be audited.
- All causes successful and failed login attempts to be audited.
Security Note Microsoft recommends auditing, at minimum, failed login attempts. Auditing failed login attempts helps determine if unauthorized users are attempting to access the system.
If the SQL Probe account does not exist, or a password is defined, the AppManager Operator Console will have difficulty identifying the Server (initial login) or logging into the AppManager Repository database (if password defined after initial login).
The sql server is not in mixed mode authentication.
The SQL Probe account is a special SQL login account with very limited permissions. It is used by Microsoft SQL Server during the installation of SQL server, and by default, does not have any password set.
This same account is used by Microsoft Performance Monitor (perfmon) to grab SQL related counters and used by many SQL installation processes. If the password is set on the SQL Probe account, then perfmon will not be able to retrieve these SQL counters and other SQL accounts may not function properly.