EXTRA! X-treme version 9.x
Typically, when you install EXTRA! X-treme 9.x, it detects and upgrades earlier versions of EXTRA! automatically. If, however, you attempt to install EXTRA! X-treme 9.x over EXTRA! Personal Client version 6.x (which did not use the Microsoft Windows Installer technology), you will receive the following message during setup:
The Setup Wizard has detected that an installation of EXTRA! already exists on this machine. You must first uninstall that product and then rerun this Setup. Select Cancel to terminate this installation.
Preparing for the Manual Upgrade
Please review the following suggestions and collect the information described in the steps below before you begin the manual upgrade process.
- Review the readme files and documentation to become familiar with the new features and any new configuration options of EXTRA! X-treme 9.x. Make sure the operating system and hardware are compatible with the new version of EXTRA! before proceeding.
EXTRA! X-treme 9.3 New Features and Release Notes: KB 7021710
EXTRA! X-treme 9.2 New Features and Release Notes: KB 7021705
EXTRA! Documentation: https://support.microfocus.com/manuals/extra.html
- Create a "test" system that is non-critical to your daily work that can be used for testing the new version of EXTRA! to verify that it works properly before performing wide-scale upgrades. This test system is also good to have available during the initial deployment of the new version of EXTRA! if problems arise during the upgrade process.
- Identify and create secure backups of critical EXTRA! configuration files to carry forward. These include any files found in the Macros, Schemes, or Sessions subdirectories under the C:\Program Files\E!PC directory. Included with these will be the APPN Node configuration file called DEFAULT.XCP and the Security file called DEFAULT.ESF.
- You may want to capture screen shots of critical configuration panels or screens in the EXTRA! configuration that can be used for later reference during the EXTRA! 9.x installation. Important screens include the Host Connection information and Global Preferences.
Note: If using the HLLAPI interface of EXTRA!, open the Global Preferences and record the HLLAPI Transport Type, HLLAPI Shortname Associations, and the HLLAPI Shortname information.
- Take a "snapshot" of the Attachmate registry settings. This snapshot can be used to determine any special settings that may have been in use with the earlier version of EXTRA! after that product is uninstalled.
Warning: These instructions should be carried out by a user with Administrative rights to the PC and who is familiar with registry manipulation tools. Proceed with extreme caution when editing the Windows Registry. Use Registry Editor at your own risk. For full details and warnings regarding editing the Windows Registry, see Microsoft Article 256986:
- Open Regedit.exe.
- In the left panel of the Registry Editor window, navigate to the following locations:
- Export each selected branch to a Registry Hive file. Refer to the Microsoft Windows web site for detailed instructions about how to export a Registry Hive. This can be viewed as a text file if needed at a later date.
Performing the Manual Upgrade
As a best practice, consider logging in using a "system" or "admin" account on the machine for the upgrade process. By logging on using a different account, during the upgrade process you will preserve the user-specific configuration settings, for example, HLLAPI Shortname associations and other configuration values stored in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER section of the Windows Registry.
After collecting the information in the Preparing for the Upgrade section above, follow these steps to manually upgrade to EXTRA X-treme 9.x:
- Uninstall EXTRA! Personal Client from the PC using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. This will remove the EXTRA! program files from the C:\Program Files\E!PC directory but will leave the customized user configuration files.
- Decide where the user files will be located:
- My Documents: Store user data files in a personal My Documents folder, typically C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\Attachmate\EXTRA! where <username> is the user logged into Windows.
- Application: Store user data files in the application installation folder, typically C:\Program Files\Attachmate\EXTRA! (or C:\Program Files\Attachmate\E!E2K). Note: If you use this location on Windows Vista, running EXTRA! requires elevated or special permissions due to User Account Control (UAC) security.
- All Users\Documents: Store user data files in the All Users\Documents folder for sharing by multiple users, typically C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Attachmate\EXTRA!.
- User-Defined: Store user data files in a different folder (entered at setup).
Determine which is appropriate for your users and PC environment.
- Decide if you need to create an Administrative Install point with a customized Transform file (MST), or if the base product only can be installed. Review the product documentation and the Custom Installation Wizard documentation to determine what is appropriate for your environment.
EXTRA! X-treme documentation: https://support.microfocus.com/manuals/extra.html
- Install EXTRA! X-treme 9.x using the SETUP.EXE program, or the MSI file and a Windows Installer msiexec command line.
- Copy any existing user configuration files if they are not in the correct location (determined in step 3 of the Preparing for the Manual Upgrade section) to the new user data location.
Typically, EXTRA! Personal Client user configuration files will be located in C:\Program Files\E!PC, but the file location may be different if you performed a custom installation.
My Documents Directory Install:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\Attachmate\EXTRA!\Macros
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\Attachmate\EXTRA!\Schemes
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\Attachmate\EXTRA!\Sessions
Application Directory Install:
Note: If you use the Application Directory location on Windows Vista, running EXTRA! requires elevated or special permissions due to User Account Control (UAC) security.
All Users Directory Install:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Attachmate\EXTRA!\Macros
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Attachmate\EXTRA!\Schemes
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Attachmate\EXTRA!\Sessions
Note: After upgrading, if the EXTRA! shortcut icons (in Start > Programs) display as generic Windows application icons, Microsoft recommends that you remove or delete the hidden file SHELLICONCACHE from the Windows directory, and restart the system.
Completing the Upgrade
- After the installation of EXTRA! X-treme 9.x is complete, thoroughly test the features and functionality.
- When you are satisfied that the new version of EXTRA! is working, you can delete the old user configuration directory to avoid any confusion about which directory structure and set of configuration files is currently in use.
- Verify that the Windows PATH environment variable, if it was set to include the directory of the previous version of EXTRA!, is changed to the new installation directory for EXTRA! X-treme 9.x.
- File a backup copy of critical user configuration files in a secure location. These files can be used to restore the old version of EXTRA! Personal Client 6.x if necessary.
- Attachmate EXTRA! is ready for use.
For more information about upgrading to EXTRA! X-treme 9.x, see KB 7021375.