This technical note explains how to install EXTRA! X-treme for multiple users on a machine, such as when using Microsoft Windows Terminal Services.
The information is also applicable to a PC on which multiple users log on.
Note the following:
- This note assumes that Windows Terminal Services is installed and configured in your network environment. For information about implementing a Microsoft Terminal Services server environment, please refer to the Microsoft Terminal Services documentation at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754288%28v=ws.10%29.aspx.
- For more information about installing applications in a Terminal Server environment, see the Microsoft TechNet Article 186498 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186498.
- For information about Microsoft Terminal Services and Microsoft Terminal Server, see the following resources:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/tsscaling.mspx.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Terminal Server at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb310558.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Terminal Server at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/hh534429.
- User data and application data folders can be customized during installation using command line switches or transforms. See KB 7021248 or refer to the EXTRA! X-treme online help.
Installing EXTRA! X-treme Executables
Install EXTRA! X-treme to the Windows Terminal Services server.
Note: Before installing the product, we recommend that you close all applications.
- On the Microsoft Windows Server log in as Administrator.
- In the Windows Control Panel, double-click "Add or Remove Programs" or "Programs and Features," and then click the Add New Programs icon.
Note: Installing the product through Add or Remove Programs automatically puts the server in install mode. Alternatively, you could type change user /install at the elevated command prompt (Run as Administrator). Either way, you must be in install mode before installing EXTRA! X-treme.
- Click CD or Floppy.
- Insert the product CD or point to the product installation files, and then click Next.
Note: If you are installing the product from a network location, use a UNC path to access the installation files, not a mapped drive letter.
UNC path syntax: \\<servername>\<path>
Installing from a mapped drive may generate a Microsoft Windows installation error similar to the following: "Error 2755. The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package."
- Verify that the Open field specifies install.exe for EXTRA! X-treme version 9.x. Click Finish.
- In EXTRA! 9.x, click "Install Attachmate EXTRA! X-treme 9."
- Select your install language, and then click OK.
- In the Setup Wizard, click Next.
- Accept the License Agreement, and then click Next.
- Enter a User Name, Organization, and under "Install this application for," select "Anyone who uses this computer (all users)." Click Next.
- Specify a Destination Folder, and then click Next.
- For User Data Location, select User Defined Directory, and then click Next. On the User Data Destination Folder screen, click Browse. The Attachmate specific variable called USERID should be entered in the path string as shown below.
For Windows 7, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Vista enter:
For Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, enter:
c:\Documents and Settings\USERID\My Documents\Attachmate\
and then click OK, followed by Next.
Note the following:
The USERID parameter needs to be all upper case. At EXTRA!âs runtime the USERID parameter will be resolved to the currently logged-in user.
The files located at:
c:\Program Files\Attachmate\EXTRA!\macros | schemes | sessions\ENU
c:\Program Files (x86)\Attachmate\EXTRA!\macros | schemes | sessions\ENU
will be copied to the userâs personal folders location the first time EXTRA! is run for that particular user.
- Select Typical, and then click Next.
Note: If you choose to do a Custom install, and you are using HLLAPI, you will be prompted to select a HLLAPI Session Shortname Option. Select "Shared among all users."
- If the Centralized Management dialog box displays, do not select "Enable centralized management on the computer." Leave the check box clear and click Next.
- Click Install.
When the installation is complete, log off of Windows, log back on as a user and verify that you can access and run the EXTRA! application.