Reflection for HP version 13.0 through 14.0 SP7
Reflection for ReGIS Graphics version 13.0 through 14.0 SP7
Reflection for IBM version 13.0 through 14.0 SP7
Reflection X version 13.0 through 14.0 SP7
Reflection for Secure IT Windows Client version 7.x
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server with Terminal Services
Citrix MetaFrame version 1.8 for Windows 2000
Citrix MetaFrame XP version 1.0 for Windows 2000
This technical note explains how to install and publish Reflection products to a Windows 2000 Terminal Server with Citrix MetaFrame XP 1.0 or a Windows 2000 server with Citrix MetaFrame 1.8.
Note: This note assumes that Citrix is installed and configured in your network environment. For information about implementing a Citrix server and installing and publishing applications in a Citrix MetaFrame environment, please refer to the Citrix documentation at http://www.citrix.com.
Before proceeding, note the following:
- To evaluate Reflection on your Citrix server, obtain an evaluation CD of Reflection, rather than downloading the evaluation software, and install from the CD. The original media may be required during removal of the product. You can obtain a free copy of the evaluation CD from https://www.attachmate.com/Evals/.
- If you are installing Reflection to one of the multi-user operating systems listed below, see the associated technical note.
Installing Reflection Executables
Install Reflection to the Citrix server. Before proceeding with the installation, note the following:
- Reflection 11.0 or higher require Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) version 2.0 or higher. During installation, if MSI 2.0 or higher is not detected on your machine, you will be prompted to install the MSI service. After installing the service, you must restart Windows and restart the Reflection installation.
- Attachmate recommends that you close all applications, including the Independent Computing Architecture (ICA) Toolbar, before installing Reflection.
To install the Reflection executable files, follow the steps below.
- At your Windows 2000 Server console, log in as an Administrator. From the Windows Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs, and then click Add New Programs.
- When prompted to Install Program from Floppy Disk or CD-ROM, insert the Reflection CD and click Next.
Note: If you are installing Reflection from a network location, use a UNC path to access the installation files, not a mapped drive letter.
UNC path syntax: \\<servername>\<path>
Installing from a mapped drive may generate a Microsoft Windows installation error similar to the following: "Error 2755. The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package."
- When prompted to Run Installation Program, follow these steps.
If you are installing from the Reflection Evaluator CD:
- Browse to and double-click Evaluate.exe.
- When the Welcome window opens, click Continue.
- To evaluate Reflection X, click PC X-Server Software. To evaluate Reflection for HP, Reflection for UNIX and OpenVMS, Reflection for IBM, or Reflection for ReGIS Graphics, click Windows Based Terminal Emulation. To evaluate Reflection for Secure IT Windows Client, click Secure Shell Technology.
- Click Evaluate Reflection Now.
- Select the product to install, and then click Install. Proceed to step 4 below.
If you are installing from the Reflection product CD:
- Browse to and double-click Install.exe.
- When the Welcome window opens, click Install Reflection.
- Click Install Reflection, select the product to install, and then click Workstation Install.
- When the Reflection Wizard opens, carefully read all messages, warnings, and instructions presented, and then click Next.
- Proceed through the installation, using the following details when applicable. If you have questions about this process, please contact Attachmate Technical Support. For information on contacting support, see https://support.microfocus.com/contact/.
VPA Number: During installation, you may enter your Attachmate volume purchase agreement (VPA) number in the Customer Information page. If entered, then the VPA is available from within the product by clicking Help > About Reflection > System Information. Easy access to this number will be helpful if you need to contact Attachmate.
Destination Folder: Accept the default install location, <Windows server drive>:\Program Files\Attachmate(in version 14.0.x)\Reflection.
Installation Type: Select Custom Installation Type. This enables you to add and remove product component from the feature tree.
Attachmate recommends that you do not install the following Reflection components and products on a Citrix server:
- Reflection NFS Client version 11.0 through 14.0.x is supported in the multi-user environment; earlier versions cannot be installed on a Citrix server.
- The SNA engine. The SNA engine was originally designed to run on individual PC workstations. Modifications have been made to enable the SNA engine to function in a Terminal Server environment, but it can handle only a limited number of simultaneous connections (10 or less). For this reason, it is strongly recommended that you use Telnet in an IBM environment.
- Reflection Virtual Desktop. This feature causes extra network overhead.
- Performance Tuner. If the Performance Tuner is installed, the first time users run Reflection X they will be prompted to run the Performance Tuner. Attachmate strongly recommends that you not install the Performance Tuner, or that you uninstall it, in the Windows Terminal Server environment. The Performance Tuner offers no value in the Windows Terminal Server environment.
User Folder: It is recommended that you accept the default value user folder. This folder is used to store user-generated files, such as settings files and scripts. If it is necessary to change the user folder (not recommended), the folder can be changed using the Reflection Customization Manager in version 12.x or higher and using the Reflection Deployment Manager in version 11.x.
Default (version 14.0.x): <metadrive>:\Documents and Settings\<Administrative account>\My Documents\Attachmate\Reflection
Default (versions 11.0 through 13.x): <metadrive>:\Documents and Settings\<Administrative account>\My Documents\Reflection
Publishing Reflection Applications
Follow the steps below to publish the Reflection executable files to the Citrix MetaFrame XP environment.
Note: These steps refer to Citrix MetaFrame 1.8. The same concepts and settings apply to Citrix MetaFrame XP 1.0, but the steps will be slightly different. Please refer to your Citrix MetaFrame documentation for further details.
- Click Start > Programs > Citrix, and then click Citrix Management Console.
- Log in to the console, and then click Actions > New > Published Application.
- In the Application Publishing Wizard dialog box, enter a Display Name and Application Description, and the click Next.
- In the Specify What to Publish dialog box:
- Click Browse (below the Command Line entry field), navigate to the Reflection installation directory (version 14.0.x: <Metadrive>:\Program Files\Attachmate\Reflection; versions 11.0 through 13.x: <Metadrive>:\Program Files\Reflection, by default), select the Reflection EXE file, and click OK.
|Product ||Executable |
|Reflection for HP ||R1win.exe |
|Reflection for UNIX and OpenVMS ||R2win.exe |
|Reflection for ReGIS Graphics ||R4win.exe |
|Reflection for IBM ||R8win.exe |
|Reflection FTP Client ||Rftpc.exe |
|Reflection X ||Rx.exe |
|Reflection for Secure IT Windows Client ||R3win.exe |
|Reflection SFTP Client ||Rsftpc.exe |
- Optional. Specify a settings file to be used when Reflection is launched. To do so, add the path and settings file name to the end of the Command Line.
Note: For details about starting Reflection from a command line, see 'startup switches' in the Reflection online help. Additional information on Reflection X startup parameters can be found in Technical Note 1530.
- Change the Working Directory to
(version 14.0.x): <Metadrive>:\Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents\Attachmate\Reflection
(versions 11.0 through 13.x): <Metadrive>:\Documents and Settings\%username%\My Documents\Reflection
Or, if user-generated files are stored on a separate file server, enter that location. For example, \\<file server>\home\%username%.
- Click Next.
- Select the applicable neighborhood settings for your environment, and then click Next.
Note: If you do not select one of the Application Shortcut Placement options, the user will see the Reflection icons only after they log in to the Citrix Program Neighborhood. This can be useful in a high-security environment where workstations do not display a Start Menu or Client desktop.
- Select the application appearance settings for your environment, and then click Next.
- Select ICA Client requirements, and then click Next.
- Select the Trusted Domain where your user and group accounts are located, click Add, and then click Next.
- Choose the accounts or groups who should have access to Reflection (typically Domain Users), click Add, and then click Next.
- Choose the server farm you want to run Reflection from, and then click Next.
Note: If there is more than one server in your server farm, install Reflection to the servers where Load Balancing is enabled.
- Click Finish.
The Reflection application should now appear in the console with Type set to Explicit, and State set to Enabled.
Note: If you are using Citrix MetaFrame XP, and you are unable to see your published applications on the device where the ICA connection resides, follow these steps:
- Open the Citrix Program Neighborhood and click Find New Application Set.
- Navigate to the Server Location, which defaults to "auto-detect."
- Change the Server Location to the IP Address for the Citrix Server you are connecting to. Click Next twice, and then click Finish.
When you refresh the Citrix Program Neighborhood you should now see all of your published applications.