This technical note describes one way to sequence Reflection for IBM 2007 so that it can run as a virtual application streamed from a SoftGrid Virtual Application Server using Microsoft SoftGrid Application Virtualization 4.2. There are other SoftGrid sequencing recipes not described in this technical note that can be used to successfully sequence Reflection for IBM 2007.
- Document the application's installation requirements for sequencing â understand your sequencing requirements by documenting which Reflection for IBM 2007 components and features are needed for your users.
- Sequence the application using SoftGrid's Sequencer Package Configuration Wizard, and then copy the sequenced package files to the SoftGrid Application Server content folder.
- Publish and assign the application package files to users.
Document a Customized Reflection for IBM 2007 Installation Before Sequencing
Before you use the Sequencer Package Configuration Wizard to sequence Reflection for IBM 2007, you should document your sequencing requirements and steps. Some Reflection components may not be required. To determine your requirements for sequencing, install Reflection on another PC to help determine and document the sequencing steps.
Note the following:
- Prior to sequencing any application, test the SoftGrid installation environment with the SoftGrid Default Application that installs with the SoftGrid Virtual Application Server.
- The sequencing steps described in this document were performed on a machine running Windows XP Service Pack (SP) 3 with the .NET Framework 3.0 Runtime, and with Reflection for IBM 2007 SP3 installed. Ensure that the Reflection 2007 SP3 installer file, P1503638.MSP, is available for installation during the sequencing process.
The steps should work for other operating systems, but may need some adjustments.
- Reflection for IBM 2007 Productivity Microsoft Office Tools have not been tested to work with Microsoft Office streamed as a virtual application.
Use the Sequencer Package Configuration Wizard
To prepare Reflection for IBM 2007 as a virtual application, first you must sequence Reflection using the Sequencer Package Configuration Wizard.
Sequence Reflection for IBM 2007
Use the Sequencer Package Configuration Wizard to begin the sequencing process.
- For Package Information provide the Suite Name, Title, Comments, and Server URL information.
- Windows XP is the Selected Operating Systems on which RIBM2007 will run.
- Select the Default Sequencing parameters: Not Compressed and 32 KB Block Size.
- Click Begin Monitoring.
- Start the installation of Reflection for IBM 2007 by clicking Setup.exe.
- On the Install Attachmate Reflection for IBM 2007 screen, click Continue.
- Read and accept the License Agreement.
- Personalize your installation by completing the Name, Organization and VPA number fields.
- On the File Location tab, change the File Location by clicking the Browse button. In this technical note, File Location is specified as C:\Program Files\<anyname>. For example: C:\Program Files\R2007SP3. It is important that <anyname> be unique so that it does not conflict with any other streaming application or other versions of Reflection.
- On the Feature Selection tab, change the following options to "Feature will be unavailable," so that they will not install:
EXTRA! Macro and Programming Compatibility
Reflection Macro and Programming Compatibility
Note: Macro compatibility has not been fully tested, although simple macros, such as logon macros should work.
- On the Advanced tab verify that "Install to this PC" is selected. Then, click Install Now.
- When the Installation has completed successfully click Close.
- Find the location of Reflection for IBM 2007 SP3 patch P1501566.MSP, and then double-click the file to install.
- Once the patch has completed its installation, on the SoftGrid Sequencer Installation Wizard, click Stop Monitoring.
- Browse to the installation folder and select <anyname> from C:\Program Files\<anyname>.
- After the virtual environment is downloaded and monitoring is finished, click Next.
- On the "Additional Files to Map to the VFS" dialog box, select Do Nothing.
- Click Finish, and then click Next to begin the sequencing process of launching applications.
Launch the Sequenced Applications
You must launch the Reflection sequenced application to create the SoftGrid .OSD files, which are used for streaming the application.
- In the Application Wizard, remove any applications that are not needed but were captured during the sequencing process.
Typical application components to remove are Reflection âNo Openâ Handler, and any other component not needed, such as Reflection IBM Printer or Reflection FTP client.
- Click Next.
- In the Launch Applications dialog box, select the Reflection Workspace and then click Launch. (Do not click Launch All.) Note: You may need to launch Reflection Workspace more than once.
- Create any 3270 or 5250 Terminal (Default) in the Create New Document Wizard.
- Verify that the connections work, and then click File > Save As and save the session documents in C:\Program Files\<anyname> folder.
- Click Back to add any saved 3270 *.rd3x or TN5250 *.rd5x session documents.
- Browse the Application Path to the location of the saved 3270 *.rd3x or 5250 *.rd5x session documents to create .OSD files used for streaming applications by SoftGrid. It is important that each .OSD file name be unique.
- After adding each session document, click Next to launch any remaining applications, including the newly added 3270 or 5250 session documents.
- After launching the rest of the applications, click Next and then click Finish to end the sequencing process.
Modify the .OSD Files
Once the .OSD files have been created, you should modify the CODEBASE parameters for any saved session documents that will be streamed.
- Click the OSD tab of SoftGrid Sequencer to modify saved session CODEBASE parameters.
- Find the IMPLEMENTATION\CODEBASE parameters of Reflection Workspace and locate the FILENAME parameter: <anyname>\Attachmate.Emulation.Frame.exe.
- For every 3270 or 5250 session document to be streamed, modify the CODEBASE PARAMETERS and FILENAME:
- Modify the FILENAME as <anyname>\Attachmate.Emulation.Frame.exe.
- Modify the PARAMETER as the saved session document name with the complete path.
Once modified, the .OSD file includes the following information:
<CODEBASE PARAMETERS="-f Q:\R2007SP3\ACCTMF.rd3x" FILENAME="R2007SP3\Attachmate.Emulation.Frame.exe" SYSGUARDFILE="R2007SP3\osguard.cp"/>
In the above example, the install directory is R2007SP3 and the saved session is ACCTMF.rd3x. (The virtual directory Q: is typically used by the SoftGrid client.)
- Click File > Save As to save your work.
Publish Reflection for IBM 2007 with SoftGrid Management Console
Once Reflection has been sequenced and configured for streaming, copy the sequenced package files to the SoftGrid Application Server content folder, and then prepare Reflection for publishing.
- When moving the SoftGrid package of Reflection for IBM 2007 files to the SoftGrid Application Server content folder, include the following files:
- Saved session .OSD files
- SoftGrid package of Reflection for IBM 2007 .ICO icon files
- SoftGrid project .SFT asset files
- Use the SoftGrid Management Console to create the Reflection for IBM 2007 Package and Application.
- Publish Reflection for users running the SoftGrid Client software.
Verifying that Reflection for IBM 2007 Streams Correctly
From the client computer double-click the shortcut icon for Reflection for IBM 2007. If a Launch Failed dialog box opens, click the box for details, and troubleshoot as appropriate.