These files are typically located in <Documents>\Attachmate\Verastream\HostIntegrator\models (beginning in version 7.1) or <VHI installation directory>\models\<model name> (in version 7.0 and earlier). This includes files with .model and .snapshot extensions. Additional subdirectories may contain trace, deployment, and event handler files, depending on the version of Verastream installed and the features enabled.
When sending model files to Technical Support, please zip the entire <model name> directory. The model deployment package is insufficient, as it does not include snapshots or event handler source.
Model Debug Messages (.vmr)
Beginning in version 6.0 Session Server and Design Tool can generate model debug messages files with .vmr extension.
By default, the server .vmr files are created in subdirectories under <VHI installation directory>/etc/reports.
For information on model debug messages, see KB 7021543.
Server Configuration Details (sesssrvr.config)
Obtain the server configuration file, <VHI installation directory>/etc/sesssrvr.config, which contains the current Verastream server configuration information.
In version 7.5 SP1 or higher, if a sesssrvr.config.invalid file also exists, please provide it to Attachmate Technical Support for troubleshooting.
Design Tool Event Log (.applog)
Follow the steps below to capture a Design Tool Event Log (.applog).
- Load the Verastream model in Design Tool.
- Click Debug > Event Log > Logging Options.
- In the Log the following drop-down box, select Log All Messages, and then click OK.
By default, this log file is stored in the <VHI>\etc\logs\destool directory.
When installing version 7.0 or higher on Windows, temporary configuration files and installation logs are written to the folder specified by the %TMP% environment variable (such as C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Temp on Windows XP). If the installer reports a failure, refer to the appropriate log file(s):
- General setup issue: atm-nnnnnnnnnn.log (where nnnnnnnnnn is a 10-digit number; see also KB 7021284)
- Upgrading from a previous version: migrateto7.log
- Setting administrative password in Management Server: chngpwd.log
- Adding Session Server (registering with management server): addssrvr.log
- Adding Host Emulator (registering with management server): addhsrvr.log
- Adding Management Server when joining an existing installation: addmsrvr.log
Setup Debug Output
If you have an issue related to installation of version 6.6 or earlier on Windows, you may need to run setup debug (at the Command Prompt) and note all the debug popup windows that appear, particularly the last message before the install problem occurs.
If you have a product installation issue on UNIX/Linux, error detail is displayed in the process output (terminal session window).
Patch or Service Pack Installation Log Files
If you have an issue related to the installation of a VHI service pack or hotfix for version 6.6 or earlier, the log file from this installation may be useful to help diagnose the issue. It is typically created in the same directory where the rtpatch executable was run. (For example, after installing VHI version 5.5 Service Pack 1 on Sun Solaris, the file, solaris55_p611.log, is created in the same directory where rtpatch was run.)
Windows Minidump (*.dmp)
In the event of an unexpected exception in Design Tool or Session Server on Windows, minidump files are generated to assist Attachmate with debugging the issue. Please provide the *.dmp files to Technical Support, which may be located in one of the following directory folders, depending on your environment:
- Session Server: The VHI installation directory as indicated by VHI_ROOT environment variable, typically C:\Program Files (x86)\Attachmate\Verastream\HostIntegrator (version 7.0 or higher)
- Design Tool: Specified by TMP environment variable, or <Documents>\Attachmate\Verastream\HostIntegrator (version 7.1), where <Documents> is typically C:\Users\<user name>\Documents (on Windows 7) or C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents (on Windows XP)
If *.dmp files are not found in the above locations, the following registry key may be modified to explicitly set a different location to generate minidumps:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps
For more information on the values set within this registry key, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787181(v=vs.85).aspx.
Dr. Watson Log (drwtsn32.log)
In the rare event that you receive the following Microsoft Windows Dr. Watson error, please provide Technical Support with the system Drwtsn32.log file.
"Verastream Host Integrator Session Server has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
The Drwtsn32.log text file is automatically generated by Microsoft Windows. By default, this file is located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\DrWatson.
Java Error Report (hs_err_pid*.log)
If you see one or more of the following symptoms, your model event handler Java code may be causing the Script Manager JVM to unexpectedly exit:
- Design Tool displays âAn error occurred while communicating with the script manager: Socket error - Socket not connected.â
- Session Server unexpectedly restarts.
- Logged error message ID 4306: The script manager is offline.
Look in your <VHI>/lib/java directory for text files named hs_err_pid<nnnn>.log, where <nnnn> represents process ID numbers.
Event Handler Console or Traps Output (traps.out)
For information on event handler debugging output, see the product documentation.
Operating System Log
For service startup events, information may be found in the operating system log:
Windows: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Application Log
Sun Solaris: /var/adm/messages
Red Hat Linux: /var/log/messages
IBM AIX: log location configured in /etc/syslog.conf (e.g., *.debug or daemon.error line)
Startup Debug Logs (atstart.*.out)
For information on generating atstart debug output for service startup issues, see KB 7021545.
For more information on various traces that can be used for troubleshooting, see KB 7021562.
Uploading Files to Technical Support
After obtaining the trace and configuration files requested by Technical Support, go to https://upload.attachmate.com/ to send the files, or attach it to your Service Request as described in KB 7021970.