Upgrades from a previous version of Retain 3 to a later version
This article will provide instructions for Linux. Estimated installation time is about 10 - 15 minutes (preparation and installation), depending on the speed of your hardware and Internet.
Preparation (5 - 10 minutes)
1. Create a software repository directory.
This makes it easier for version management. Most customers have a hard time remembering where they downloaded the Retain installation package when they need to access the files again. And, forgetting where they are can also cause disk space to be used as packages get scattered across the server.
If the root disk volume has sufficient disk space, create a directory off the root of the drive called "software". This is easy to recognize by anyone accessing the server, including tech support. If you don't, find a volume that does and create directory called "software" there.
2. In a terminal window, change to the new software directory you created in step 1.
3. Once inside /software, download the software by typing: wget http://download.gwava.com/retain/Retain3510ga_362.zip
4. Unzip the downloaded file by typing: unzip Retain3510ga_362 -d retain3510ga_362
This not only unzips the file, put puts the unzipped files into a subdirectory called retain3510ga_362.
5. Make the bash script files "executable" by typing: chmod +x *.sh
Installation (5 minutes)
These instructions will contain screenshots. To view them, click on the hyperlinked text.
1. Execute the install script by typing: ./RetainInstall.sh
2. When the license agreement appears, you have two options:
a. Scroll through and read all of it (lawyers recommend this).
b Quit out of it and read it later (what all techies do... though not sure about the "read later").
Typing the letter "q" will dismiss the licensing verbiage and bring you to the screen where you can accept or not accept the agreement.
3. Since the install script has been changing with each release, just follow the prompts you are provided as they are presented. They should be self explanatory except two options:
a. It asks if you want to install the Message Router. That software is only needed if you have purchased the Retain for Mobile license.
b. The last question will ask if you want to delete the Catalina.out file. Answer "Y" (yes) to that question.
Congratulations! You have successfully upgraded the Retain software.
At this point it is recommended to check for appropriate patches.