Retain (all versions)
The Retain jobs run and archive mail, however, certain users cannot delete their mail.
For a detailed discussion on GroupWise retention services, see "How Retention Services and Item Store Flags Work".
1. Make sure Retain is setting the storage flag(s) in the Profile configuration -> Miscellaneous -> Set Storage Flags.
2. Make sure the jobs have been running.
3. Retain has a retention date stamp utility which allows administrators to view the storage flag time of a particular mailbox. For example, if Bob cannot delete his mail, I might want to check the date of his mailbox storage flag. To do this, open the Retain Server Web configuration. Then click on the Retain logo at the top left corner of the page. At the bottom of the page, click on "Retention Date Utility." Type in the mailbox ID and click "Get current values."
4. If the utility displays a time before the last run job, here are a few suggestions:
- Do other mailboxes have old time stamps?
- Has the smart purge flag been enabled? (We recommend you use the retention flag against the live system.)
It is important to note that Retain will not advance a mailbox storage flag if there was a problem message. For example, Bob has a message which was received January 1, 2000 and has missing parts (GroupWise C082 error). When Retain encounters this message and fails to archive it, Retain sets the time stamp to the last successfully archived message before the problem message. Lets say Bob received a message five minutes before the problem message and this was archived successfully. His mailbox time stamp would be set to January 1, 2000 at 11:55am. Bob would not be able to delete messages after this date.
5. Most GroupWise errors can be avoided if routine GWChecks are performed.