When a customer attempts to upgrade a GroupWise 2012 Secondary domain to GroupWise 2014 R2 , a few seconds into the upgrade in the browser, the upgrade process would fail with an error "Database maintenance in progress (49239)".
Cleaned up files in the secondary domain directory, called "creating.db", a file with a $ character in the name that had the date and timestamp of when the upgrade failed and a few files that had a .pdb extension. We then did a rebuild of the secondary domain as I suspected there was something in this database that made the GroupWise system think it was in maintenance mode. Once we did the rebuild and cleaned up files then we were successful in updating the domain.
The rebuild was done using the GroupWise administration gwadminutil utility :
Windows : c:\Program Files\Novell\Groupwise Server\admin\gwadminutil rebuild -d \path\to\primary\domain -n <GWDomainNameToRebuild> -o <pathToDomainToRebuild>
Linux : /opt/novell/groupwise/admin/gwadminutil rebuild -d /path/to/primary/domain -n <GWDomainNameToRebuild> -o <pathToDomainToRebuild>