PlateSpin Migrate 9.2 +
When attempting to discover a VMware environment with a large number of ESX servers or managed VMs the job fails and may display a "System.OutOfMemoryException" error.
In order to resolve this issue it is necessary to discover servers by individual cluster using the following steps:
1. On the Migrate server, navigate to the following folder:
..\PlatesSpin Migrate Server\bin\
2. Locate and launch the following application:
3. Once opened, click the 'Connect...' button and then the 'OK' button.
4. Once the data appears, expand as follows:
'Networks' -> 'Default' -> 'Machines'
5. Right-click on 'Machines' and select the 'Add VMware ESX Server...' option.
6. Provide the IP or FQDN for the vCenter server.
7. Change the selector from 'All' to 'VMware cluster name' and enter the exact name of the Cluster to be discovered.
8. Provide the same credentials used for vCenter and click 'OK' to start a discovery job.
The discovery job will appear in the Jobs view of the Migrate client.
Migrate gathers a large amount of data for each host and VM managed by a vCenter server. As the number of hosts and VMs increases, Migrate may fail to handle the amount of data being gathered, causing the job to fail.