Novell eDirectory 8.8 for Linux
Need to change the eDirectory password of a user from Command Line of Linux server running eDirectory
- Ensure eDirectory is running listening on 389 and 636 port.
- "netstat -antp | grep 389" should show as listening.
- "netstat -antp | grep 636" should show as listening.
- Ensure namcd is working fine and id admin is working fine.
- "rcnamcd status" should show as running.
- Browse yast2 | User Management.
- Under "Expert Options" select "Authentication and User Sources".
- Select LDAP.
- Under "User Authentication" select "Use LDAP".
- Under "LDAP Client" section provide the address of the eDirectory LDAP server under section "Addresses of LDAP Servers".
- Do a "Fetch DN" and browse the user container where user reside in eDirectory.
- Ensure "LDAP TLS/SSL" is checked.
- Go to "Advanced Configuration" under "Administration Settings".
- Provide the "Administrator DN" in LDAP format (for example: CN=admin,O=novell).
- Select Accept and if prompted to install any packages proceed installing the packages.
- Select Finish.
- Select Accept.
- Select Finish.
- Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf file and ensure nam is is used by passwd and group if not add it and save the file.
- passwd: compat nam
group: compat nam
- LUM enable a User in eDirectory using iManager and ensure "id <user name>" is working from command prompt.
- Open Command Line from server and authenticate with the LUM enabled username and password.
- Use "passwd" command to change the password of the user.
- Using the above steps will not allow user to login from GUI, the login will only be possible from Command Line.
- The password of the user will be restricted to maximum of 8 characters, if password longer then 8 characters are given the server will trim the password to maximum 8 character length.