Open Enterprise Server 2015 (OES 2015) Linux
Often, administrators would like to create an A record for a zone (for example, novell.com) under DNS. It may not be very intuitive on how to accomplish this when using the DNS/DHCP Management console or iManager. This brief walk through is to clarify the necessary steps. This isn't intended to describe setting up any other resource records (IE. test.novell.com), other than the A record as found under the "@" object found under the zone.
- Login to the console and click on the DNS tab.
- Highlight the zone and click the CREATE button (looks like a cube)
- Select RESOURCE RECORD. Leave the OWNER NAME field blank, make sure the record is of type "A", and enter an IP address in the given field.
- After creating the record refresh the tree, expand the ZONE, expand the "@" resource record, and observe the changes.
- Login to iManager and select DNS from the left-hand menu. Under the DNS sub-menu, select SCOPE settings and fill out the requested information.
- Next select RESOURCE RECORD MANAGEMENT from the sub-menu, then CREATE RESOURCE RECORD > and then select the appropriate zone/domain from SELECT DOMAIN NAME
- Leave the OWNER NAME field blank, make the record type "A", and fill in the desired IP address.
- After creating the record go back into RESOURCE RECORD MANAGEMENT and select the options to view the resource records.
Assuming no firewalls or other settings are in the way, the zone will be pingable after a restart of DNS or after the dynamic reconfig completes at its regular interval (IE. 'ping novell.com' will get a response).