Novell iPrint for Linux Open Enterprise Server Support Pack 2 iManger iPrint Plugin
Novell iPrint for Linux Open Enterprise Server Support Pack 2 Print Manager
Novell iPrint for Linux Open Enterprise Server Support Pack 2 Driver Store
This document lists steps to migrate a NetWare iPrint Cluster resource to a Linux iPrint Cluster resource on OES2 SP2 and later. Because iPrint on NetWare and iPrint on Linux are different, migrating the cluster resource from NetWare to Linux is not an option. The iPrint environment on NetWare must be recreated to the Linux server. The OES Linux Migration tool (miggui) automates the duplication of the NetWare iPrint configuration to the Linux server. This document includes steps to:
- migrate the iPrint configuration from NetWare to Linux, and
- cause the iPrint printers installed to workstations to auto point to the new Linux iPrint cluster resource without requiring the workstations to re-install printers.
For example purposes, the following names and IP address are listed throughout these steps:
NetWare iPrint Cluster Resource DNS Name = myprintmanager.company.com
NetWare iPrint Cluster Resource IP Address = 192.168.1.10
Linux iPrint Cluster volume name = LXIPRINT
Linux iPrint Cluster Resource IP Address = 192.168.2.20
1. Prepare the Linux Cluster nodes for iPrint
While LXIPRINT is loaded on the node, type:
./iprint_nss_relocate -a <admin dn> -p <password> -n <NSS path> [-l cluster]
/opt/novell/iprint/bin/iprint_nss_relocate -a cn=admin,o=novell -p password -n /media/nss/LXIPRINT -l cluster
After the script completes, load the cluster resource to the next node and execute the iprint_nss_relocate script on the next node. Repeate the execution of the script for each node in the cluster.
- When creating the Driver Store, enter the Linux iPrint Cluster Resource IP Address as the "Target Server*". For the "eDir Server Name", choose an eDirectory server which holds a copy of the partition which the Printer Agents will be created to.
- When creating the Print Manager, enter the Linux iPrint Cluster Resource IP Address as the "iPrint Service*". Choose the same value for the "eDir Server Name" as was used for the Driver Store. Uncheck the "Start print manager after creation" option.
exit_on_error nss /poolact=IPRINTPOOL
exit_on_error ncpcon mount LXIPRINT=253
exit_on_error add_secondary_ipaddress 192.168.2.20
exit_on_error ncpcon bind --ncpservername=CLUSTER-LXIPRINT-SERVER --ipaddress=192.168.2.20
ignore_error mv /media/nss/LXIPRINT/var/opt/novell/iprint/iprintgw.lpr /media/nss/LXIPRINT/var/opt/novell/iprint/iprintgw.lpr.bak
exit_on_error rcnovell-idsd start
exit_on_error rcnovell-ipsmd start
- 253 = Volume ID
- IPRINTPOOL = Pool name.
- CLUSTER-LXIPRINT-SERVER = Cluster resource's virtual server name.
- LXIPRINT = Volume name.
- 192.168.2.20 = Resource IP address
ignore_error rcnovell-ipsmd stop
ignore_error rcnovell-idsd stop
ignore_error ncpcon unbind --ncpservername=CLUSTER-LXIPRINT-SERVER --ipaddress=192.168.2.20
ignore_error del_secondary_ipaddress 192.168.2.20
ignore_error nss /pooldeact=IPRINTPOOL
Note: Whether the iPrint migration succeeds or fails, end users are still printing to the NetWare iPrint configuration.
Note: Some printers will show as Error Printing, but that may be normal (printer turned off, out of paper, toner, etc)
Can the Linux iPrint objects be managed via iManager?
iprntman psm --xml-import psmimport.xml -u admin
If these tests pass, plan for the next step.
Update each Linux node's /etc/hosts file to resolve myprintmanager.company.com to the Linux iPrint cluster IP address.
Check the old sys:\apache2\htdocs\ippdocs\iprint.ini configuration file in order to make any required adjustments within the new iprint.ini on Linux: /var/opt/novell/iprint/htdocs/iprint.ini
Note: Any iPrint printers previously installed from the Linux /ipp page during the testing phase will be auto-reinstalled as result of the PSMHostAddress change made above. iPrint printers which were pointing to the NetWare server will not be re-installed.
8. Test iPrint
9. Remove all NetWare servers from being able to mount the new iPrint cluster resource.
iPrint Migration Best Practices
8.3.1 Clustering on an NSS File System