Novell Open Enterprise Server (NetWare based)
To accomplish the SAN to SAN migration, follow the steps mentioned below
- Take the trustee backup of the server attached to the old SAN box. Make sure all of the pools are activated and volumes are mounted. If the pools are deactivated or the volumes are not mounted then trustee backup will fail. Type the below mentioned command on the server console to take the trustee backup for all the pools and volumes seen by the server.
trustee /a save all sys:\trustee.txt
- Trustee backup will not take more than 5-10 min depending upon the users and rights given to them. Once the trustee backup is complete it shows a message on logger screen stating that trustees are copied to the desired location.
- Copy the SYS:\trustee.txt and paste it on the workstation to create a backup copy.
- Shutdown the Server
- Shutdown the old SAN box and remove the old SAN box from the server and attach the new SAN Box to the server. Make sure the server can see the LUNS and detect the new devices.
Make the new pools and volumes on to the new SAN accordingly just as it was on the old SAN box. To make the new pools and volumes on to the newly SAN box follow the below mentioned TID.
- Copy all the data manually via backup on to the other SAN volumes accordingly. Make sure the name of the pools and volumes is the same on the new SAN as it was on the old SAN box or else the trustee restore will fail.
- Make sure all the pools are activated and volumes are mounted
- Restore the trustees on to the new SAN box by typing the following command
trustee /a restore sys:\trustee.txt