Novell ZENworks 11 Asset Management - ZAM 11 SP2
Novell ZENworks 11 Patch Management - ZPM 11 SP2
Novell ZENworks 11 Endpoint Security Management - ZESM 11 SP2
- An error is seen in ZCC (ZCC > System Updates > Deploying System Updates > "Update for ZENworks (11 SP2)" > Failed) on a device to which the "Update for ZENworks (11 SP2)" is assigned
- ZESService not created and seen in Windows Services
- %ZENWORKS_HOME%\esm\ directory not created
- C:\ProgramData\Novell\ZES\Install\zesm_install_log_<Date and Time stamp>.txt files (in Win XP is under: c:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Novell\ZES\Install) contain the following entries:
- About to execute command: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\InstallUtil.exe
- Command Timed out without returning and ExitCode
- Some systems had a non-standard %ZENWORKS_HOME%\ZENworks Security Agent\ directory containing the files normally found in the %ZENWORKS_HOME%\esm\ directory.
Please report any problems encountered when using this Patch, by using the feedback link on this TID.
- Copy the contents of the %ZENWORKS_HOME%\esm\ directory of a known good device, running the same version of the ZCM/ZES agent to the %ZENWORKS_HOME%\esm\ directory on the device where the setup.exe failed.
- Manually install the ZESService by browsing to the .NET framework install path and running (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\):
- Execute the install (setup.exe) with the following MSI properties passed (or run from an administrative command prompt like this):
setup.exe /V"/L*v esm_inst.log INSTALLDIR=\"%ZENWORKS_HOME%\esm\" TARGETDIR=\"%ZENWORKS_HOME%\esm\" STRBR=ReallySuppress"
Note: Silent install -- add /qn before the last closed quotation mark as in the following example:
setup.exe /V"/L*v esm_inst.log INSTALLDIR=\"%ZENWORKS_HOME%\esm\" TARGETDIR=\"%ZENWORKS_HOME%\esm\" STRBR=ReallySuppress /qn"
Although this issue surfaced during a ZCM 11.2 Agent update on the Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2 platforms. In theory, it could feasibly occur on other Windows platforms or during a ZCM 11.2 agent install. These later possibilities, although not encountered, should not be entirely ruled out as possibilities.