With NetWare 6.5 Support Pack 5 and earlier, printer agents can be configured to send print jobs to a shared Windows printer. See the 'Additional Notes' section for configuration details.
Once applying Support Pack 6, this no longer works. No error message is presented on the server, end user workstation, or NetWare server. The job is transfered to the Windows server/workstation, but is not printed.
Apply NDPSGW.NLM dated 06MAR2007 or later. This NLM is found by:
- Go to https://download.novell.com/
- Select iPrint from the "Product or Technology" drop down list.
- Click the Search button.
- Click the "Patches" tab.
- Find the patch named iprntnw65sp6[x].zip. The [x] will be a letter, such as f, or g, or etc...
Back rev NDPSGW.NLM to the version prior to Support Pack 6.
a. Unload NDPSM.NLM
b. Make a copy of SYS:\SYSTEM\NDPSGW.NLM
c. Copy an older version of NDPSGW.NLM to the server's SYS:\SYSTEM
d. Load NDPSM.NLM
Follow these steps to configure a NetWare Printer Agent to send jobs to a Shared Windows Printer.
1. Static IP
Give the workstation a static IP Address.
2. Install Microsoft's TCP/IP Print Server Service
Start -> Control Panel -> Add-Remove Programs -> Add-Remove Windows Components -> Other Network Files and Print Services -> Details -> Print Services for Unix
You may need to the Windows OS CD to complete the installation.
3. Ensure the TCP/IP Print Service is running
On the Windows server/workstation, click Start -> Run -> services.msc -> TCP/IP Print Service
4. Install a local printer to the Windows
Choose a short name with no spaces.
5. Create a printer agent pointing to the Windows
When creating the printer agent, provide the IP or DNS of the Windows server/workstation. Also, change PASSTHROUGH to the printer name chosen in step 4. This method requires the LPR communication method. Do not choose RAW.