Novell Client 4.9 for Windows NT/2000/XP
Novell ZENworks for Desktops 4 - ZFD4
Novell ZENworks 6.5 Desktop Management Support Pack 2 - ZDM6.5 SP2
Novell ZENworks 7 Desktop Management Support Pack 1 - ZDM7 SP1
Novell ZENworks Desktop Management
Error 1456 When Remote controlling a workstation at a remote Branch Office site. The workstation object would get created in the tree, but the 'Registered Time' (Properties of the w/s object) never updated after the initial creation. RC of the w/s worked when moved to corporate headquarters (local LAN).
DWORD:"Disable Preferred Connection"=0x00000001
If this key is
configured the Workstation Manager will still use the context of
the workstation object to have the client open a connection to the
closest server, but the "Preferred Connection" will not be
Fixed in WM.EXE dated 5 February 2004 or newer in ZfDAgent.msi version 4.00.1093.40329 or newer found atNovell Product Updates.
2. The workstation asks and receives the option 85 [Preferred Server] from the DHCP server
3. The Novell Client creates the registry key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\Workstation Manager\Identification\ "Preferred Connection"="XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" when the ZFD [Workstation Manager] component is installed
4. The Workstation Manager reads this key, and creates a connection to this server without doing a name resolution.
5. The problem starts when you are a roaming user, you take your workstation to another location. In this location there is a DHCP server but no option 85 configured.
6. The HKLM\SOFTWARE\Novell\Workstation Manager\Identification\ "Preferred Connectionâ is not delete, it points to a server in the wrong location, which means that the Workstation Manager goes over the WAN an connect to this server in the other location! It should go to the local location first.
When using multitree environment for example tree A and B. In tree A the option 85 is delivered through DHCP, but the Workstation Manager should connect to tree B. Because of delivering the option 85 from Tree A, the Novell Client creates the Preferred Connection key in the registry, the WM connects to the wrong tree.
Formerly known as TID# 10091521Workstation Manager resolves the workstation object in e-Directory thorugh the mechanism top down