Assume the following setup:
Subnet: 192.168.1.0 with Mask: 255.255.255.0
Domain Name: noname.com
Domain Server: 192.168.1.1
The following instructions are for DHCP in iManager. Please see OES 2 documentation for details:
- Create a service
- Create a DHCP Server object with the following two settings:
- ddns-rev-domainname in-addr.arpa
- ddns-update-style interim
- Create the following two zone objects:
- Zone Name: noname.com with DNS Server IP address of 192.168.1.1
Zone Name: 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa with DNS Server IP address of 192.168.1.1
NOTE: The zone names created here must match the zones names as they are found under DNS
- Create a subnet with the following settings:
- Subnet IP Address: 192.168.1.0
- Mask: 255.255.255.0
- View/Modify the newly created subnet and add noname.com for DNS Zone for Dynamic Update
- Create a Pool with the range specified at the beginning: Start of 192.168.1.10 and end of 192.168.1.50
- View/Modify the newly create Pool and change DNS Update to Always Update
DHCP configuration is complete.
The following instructions are for DNS in iManager. Please see OES 2 documentation for details:
- Create the following two DNS zones:
- An in-addr.arpa zone similar to this: 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa zone (Type in the address normally in the boxes (192.168.1) leaving the last box blank. The application will complete the process to give you a 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa zone).
- View/Modify each of the zones and click on NEXT until you see ALLOW UPDATE option. Add an entry of "any" in the filter (default is blank)
DNS Configuration is complete.
NOTE: If using XP, in the advance DNS configuration (on XP) uncheck the "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" box
- Start named (rcnovell-named start)
- Start dhcp (rcdhcpd start)
- Release and renew dhcp leases from the workstation
If the setup is not working, check the following files:
- /var/log/messages for error messages
- /var/lib/dhcp/db/dhcpd.leases. Along with the lease information you should see:
- For a PTR record: set ddns-rev-name="10.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa"
- For an A record: set ddns-fwd-name="workstation.noname.com"