SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8
- Boot server from the installation CD.
- Then select any installation method or Rescue System.
- At the first installation screen when selecting
language, press ctrl-alt-f2 to open a virtual console.
Note: If you selected Rescue System, select your keyboard language and then a Rescue Login prompt should appear. Login as root.
- Typefdisk -lto list the partitions. Locate the Linux root partition.
- Typemount /dev/sda4 /mnt(replace sda4 with the device name for the Linux root partition identified in the previous step).
- Runmount -o bind /dev /mnt/devto make the device files available (this is needed for access to the urandom device which may be used by the passwd command below).
- Enterchroot /mnt
- Now enterpasswd rootand reset the root password.
- Typeexitto leave the chroot environment.
- Reboot the system.
* added SLES11
* deleted former #10 to umount /mnt and reboot. The umount command would have failed because /dev was still mounted on /mnt/dev. Rebooting the system straight ahead will take care of this.