Archived Content: This information is no longer maintained and is provided 'as is' for your convenience.
Novell Operating Systems
Novell Directory Services
Cannot Map Drive to Server Error: "8901 or 0057"
licenses have expired as of 23:59 12/31/01
login-4.21 15-430 the following drive root s:=.server_volume.servers.a.b.c.:\public Error code 8901
MAP.EXE reports error 0057 trying to map a drive
8901 error indicates that there is insufficient space on the volume.
Users are not getting drive mapping when logging in
Error 8901 is reported on client when mapping drives
Page not found errors when attempting to authenticate to Remote Manager (Portal.nlm)
Authenticated connections exist (or are created) to server(s) but drives can not be mapped
Packet trace shows Request Denied - No Disk Space on Change Connection State request(s)
No errors are displayed on the server(s) console
Evaluation licenses have previously been installed and have not been formally removed.
Client License Connections has exceeded allowed licenses or License Certificate has expired.
The 8901 error is reporting a lack of Disk Space when there is lots of free space on the server's volumes. An authenticated connection to eDirectory indicates that Directory Services is not the problem. The packet trace report of Request Denied due to lack of Disk space on the Change Connection State is a symptom of Licensing Services not providing a licensed connection to a server. In this case the 8901 error is misleading.
If there have been evaluation versions of any licenses installed into the tree, they need to be totally removed. Remove all licenses if there are any questions and then install the full real versions once the tree has been cleaned.
You need to clearly identify the reason for the license connection refusal. It could be due to exceeding allowed license connections, the License Certificate has expired or something is not working correctly with Licensing Services.
1. Increase Licenses for user connections by adding additional licenses
2. Delete the expired License and install a valid license
3. Identify problem with licensing services and correct problem
1. Workstation has a * next to the connection indicating it is a non-licensed connection.
2. If you delete the license container and SN: objects and try to reinstall them through NWCONFIG you are told that the licenses have expired as of 23:59 12/31/01.
3. Viewing the license object under the license container (SN:xxx...) displays they have expired.
In one situation after completing the above steps, Grace Logins were still occurring. It was identified that the old license was still being used by the server.